International Driving License+ US driving tips

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

O.k maybe it was close to the 12 month law, in my case, it was 6 years ago . so you agree Claire bear, that the IDP must be valid to drive in HK, you cant just drive in HK without an IDP married to your licence, which was my original point, and my legal understanding, with a ful Australian drivers licence.

Thank you Ontheroad, for that piece of useful info, as I know you have lived in France. So, a HKSAR licence is valid there, just like it is for US and UK citizens. Last time we were in Paris, we were driven around by familiy, this time i will drive .

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-06-2008 at 04:22 PM.

skyhook,

A key word in that quoted law is "visitor". If you are a HK resident then you cannot drive on your overseas licence for an extended period. You are required to obtain a HK driving licence. I can't remember (or immediately find) the limit on this. But I do have a friend whose wife was fined for driving a car in HK without a HK Driving Licence when she had been resident here for over a year.

Last edited by PDLM; 02-06-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Nope - well again, only if you are being pedantic.
    I have been accused of pedantry by PDLM. My goal in life has been fulfilled and I can now die happy

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    you cant just drive in HK without an IDP married to your licence, which was my original point, and my legal understanding, with a ful Australian drivers licence.
    FFS! I have quoted the law verbatim. Since English is apparently your native language why are you having difficulty understanding it?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    skyhook,

A key word in that quoted law is "visitor". If you are a HK resident then you cannot drive on your overseas licence for an extended period. You are required to obtain a HK driving licence. I can't remember (or immediately find) the limit on this. But I do have a friend whose wife was fined for driving a car in HK without a HK Driving Licence when she had been resident here for over a year.
    This seems standard for other countries as well. As an Australian in the UK, I was required to apply for a UK license after living there for some set amount of time. In practise, almost nobody does this though, and I never heard of the police making a big deal of it.

Same goes for foreigners in Australia- you should apply for a local license after only three months.
    Last edited by jgl; 02-06-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Hi five JGL, mission accomplished digger.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    I have been accused of pedantry by PDLM. My goal in life has been fulfilled and I can now die happy
    At risk of being a rite nosey parker, but can't resist it: CONGRATS, JGL et al...on helping towards driving our main resident pedant UP the proverbial wall

If pedantry was a religion, then PDLM must be the GOD.... Because nobody does it better

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApvgvYs5swk"]YouTube - Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better"[/ame]

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-06-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

It's usually not a problem to drive in any country on any licence ... till you get stopped

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    If pedantry was a religion, then PDLM must be its GOD....
    GAWD... might be the better word (check connotation).

(We wouldn't wanna offend the true, righteous one )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast