International Driving License+ US driving tips

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

International Driving License+ US driving tips

Hello all.

i was looking for two things on a real urgent basis.

1. Any driving school offers driving lessons for US.

2. How do i get an international driving license ( where could i get an international driving thing....any driving school in HK Island)

I was in the process of looking at getting license and driving lessons for the US, since i would be relocating to US in a month's time. I need to get around to driving in US when i get there and wanted to prepare myself before i land. Just wondering if any of you know where to look to get myself enrolled.

Many Thanks, and look forward to some suggestions.

Can you drive right now? Because if you have a local licence it's normally just a matter of paying a small fee to get an international driving licence. In UK, Aus and NZ, the local Automotive Association used to sell them. But if you are having to learn to drive from scratch, different story.

If you have no driving licence at all then you really will have to wait until you get there. How could anyone in HK offer useful lessons on driving in the US? For a start they drive on the other side of the road!

Once you arrive in the US you should be able to take a "crash course" that would get you your licence in a week or two.

I disagree. For somebody who cannot drive, any course will help. You do not need any special instruction to drive on the other side of the road - the first time I did it was in Europe and the rental car company "upgraded" me to a people-mover .... straight out into the Geneva rush hour!

Other than bashing my arm on the door every time I wanted to change gear for the first hour, I was fine. Most cars in US are automatic anyway, which is easier and practically nothing extra to learn.

While we are on the subject of internationl licences, can I use my HK licence in France ? Or do I need an IDP attached to my HKSAR drivers licence ?

I have spent a couple of days online trying to find info regarding this, which topically seems to be US or UK driver centric.

We will be going to visit family in Paris in August, and because my brother / sister inlaw and nephew will all be travelling with us, I'd like to hire a 8 seater Mercedes Vito TDi mini van. There doesn't seem to be any mention on the HKAA website regarding IDP's etc. .

Basically, do i even need an IDP to drive in France,Switzerland, Austria and Italy, using my HKSAR drivers licence, or do I need an IDP on top ? Anybody know ?

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-06-2008 at 11:23 AM.

I just discovered that the HK Transport Department is responsible for issuance of International Driving Licence's, so its all good.

http://www.td.gov.hk/FileManager/EN/...ev(2.2007).pdf

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-06-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

And it costs $80.

I had an international license for a while... it was the most useless travel document I have ever held.

Every country I have driven in has accepted my Australian license. As far as I can tell, it's a fairly small number of the less developed countries that require an international license. Off memory, some African countries require one. Possibly Bali.

Kary- if you have a HK license, just use that in the US and convert it to a local license when you have time. If you don't have a license at all, learn when you get to the US. If you take lessons here, you will simply have to relearn everything once in the US anyway- driving on the other side of the road is quite different initially, and local traffic will be different too e.g. 4 way stops, right turns on red lights, reverse parking on the other side of the road will require too much relearning to start here.

Hong Kong ( snicker ) must be a 3rd world country then, because for non residents, it is illegal to drive in Hong Kong legally without an international drivers licence.

Expat residents after 6 months of living here, by law MUST transfer their home country driving licence over to a HK issued one.

And in regard to Aussie Licences abroad, which I have one, this is a definitive list of countries that an IDP is required.
    http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...or%20motorists

For a paltry $80.00HKD, it would be a comprehensive reason to just get an IDP, instead of getting caught up with red tape while on an annual holiday. .Especially with a mini van full of, HK family members.....

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-06-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I had an international license for a while... it was the most useless travel document I have ever held.

Every country I have driven in has accepted my Australian license. As far as I can tell, it's a fairly small number of the less developed countries that require an international license.
    I suggest that your experience must be rather limited. There are many countries which require an international driving licence if your licence isn't in one of the official languages of the country. It is the height of arrogance to expect that a policeman in, say, rural Russia will be able to read English.

There are many countries still which require IDPs, and many more where I would recommend having one (France for example).

If you have a EU standard form driving licence that makes things easier in Europe since the format is standardised and you don't need to understand the language to extract the data.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast