Like Tree20Likes

Sign the petition to save the Hong Kong Trail

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rakedavids:
    the government is so reactionary that the skywalk up at the peak won't even be mentioned, unless Singapore, macau, or another of our tourism competitors actually get it done fast.
    Though we did yet Disney first!

I still remeber the Hong Kong government promising us all very faithfully there would be no developement on Lantau other than the airport! What a joke they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Seano76:

If you have other causes that you think are more worthy then by all means put up a petition and ask people to sign it, in the meantime this is the one that somebody is doing something about. I'm sure we can all come up with a list of causes we think are more worthy than this, it doesn't mean that this cause is worthless though.
    Ah, the old "what are you doing to make a difference?" argument. : The new Godwin's.

i rarely go to the peak so don't really care about the hotel. I don't live in a NT village so don't care too strongly about that either (oh, so selfish I am). As such, I will not be organising any petitions.

My point is if you do care about such things, then care about them all, especially those that wreck people's livelihoods. Don't just concentrate on the ones that may once in a blue moon prevent you from walking your dog.
    Last edited by shenwen; 17-10-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    Ah, the old "what are you doing to make a difference?" argument. : The new Godwin's.

i rarely go to the peak so don't really care about the hotel. I don't live in a NT village so don't care too strongly about that either (oh, so selfish I am). As such, I will not be organising any petitions.

My point is if you do care about such things, then care about them all, especially those that wreck people's livelihoods. Don't just concentrate on the ones that may once in a blue moon prevent you from walking your dog.
    Pretty sure you just contradicted yourself! You said the reason you don't care is because these things don't affect you directly, before telling people not to use such reasoning themselves.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using GeoClicks mobile app

The developer should do it properly and push a new access road down to #27 from Mt Austin Road, similar to what #25 & 26 have done.

The new access road need only be 100 metres long and it takes the carts/buses off the hiking and tourist trail.

Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    The developer should do it properly and push a new access road down to #27 from Mt Austin Road, similar to what #25 & 26 have done.

The new access road need only be 100 metres long and it takes the carts/buses off the hiking and tourist trail.
    Think they will end up doing this if it's possible. Judging by what they've managed so far without due dillegence it should be a cinch. 100 meters? Everyone will be smiling.

I woke up one morning to find a motley bunch of idiots under the direction of a mainlander trying to build a road through my garden to get to the country park! Yea gods I had the lands department the Country parks and the police all arrive at once. Telling you, you stop concentrating for five seconds and the country parks are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Pretty sure you just contradicted yourself! You said the reason you don't care is because these things don't affect you directly, before telling people not to use such reasoning themselves.

Pretty sure I didn't.

To me, the above basically says "if it doesn't affect me I don't give a shit"

Not the best foundations for an argument IMO

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Post here ... virtually anything goes.
    Yet the common fundations of most argument on GE...

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

I imagine I'm like most people, I care most about the things that affect me and less so about ones that don't. This one has the potential to affect me (ie getting run over by a crazy minibus driver on my 1 or 2 runs each week on the HK trail) so I'm happy to do something about it. If some village in the NT that I've never heard of gets bulldozed then whilst it probably is the wrong thing the chances of me doing something about it are slim to none. It might not be the nicest attitude in the world to have but at least I'm honest about it.

People are free to pick and choose which issues to champion. If everyone follows your "care all or care nothing" [insert adjective] mentality, then, no issue will ever be picked up. There are simply too many issues for everyone to care all and it's not up to you to decide on the priority for other people!