Like Tree16Likes

pickpocketing in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Pickpocketing can happen anywhere, from New York to Vancouver to Vienna to London to Paris to Bangkok to, etc etc etc, you kind of get my drift.

I reckon the same precautions to reduce the risks of pickpocketing should apply anywhere in the world you are.
    True. You would not believe how many people would act on opportunity, if it was staring them in the face. I see young ppl on the MTR with their bags open with electronic equipment and wallet staring you in the face. Ppl are too engrossed in their iPhones to even think about the person standing beside them ( or waiting infront of them to be walked into!) . There is this malaise about HK that people don't care much about the masses around them but expect everyone else to look out for them! That's just my general feeling. Go up to Guangzhou , Shenzhen, Beijing, shanghai et al and you get a completely different atmosphere regarding one's own regard for personal safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Anyone knocks my bag and they get the "Claire glare". Do it a second time and I'll let everyone know what you're doing.
    Is it anything like the Care Bear Stare?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Pickpocketing can happen anywhere, from New York to Vancouver to Vienna to London to Paris to Bangkok to, etc etc etc, you kind of get my drift.
    While true, pickpocketing remains a rarity in Hong Kong.

In 20 years of living here and taking public transport, I can only relate a single incident (at Ocean Park) where my wife's backpack was opened. Nothing got taken as she realised it and yelled causing the perp to flee.

Compare this with our recent trip to Paris where:
    - The very first day, I got surrounded by a group of 10-14 year olds and jostled on the metro (I didnt move, they got nothing)
    - 2 days later, we were approached by "I found a ring" scammer
    - Every outdoor cafe we visited, we were told to put our bags/purses etc toward the inside to prevent snatchers.

It seems to be a national sport in most tourist spots of Europe while its a small irritant on this side of the world...
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 24-10-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Mum had her phone lifted out of her handbag on an escalator on the MTR. Her bag was open (she's not in the best of health, and taking the MTR is already a struggle for her).

I've never had a problem with pick pockets ever in Hong Kong. I hope this is not on the rise. It's always felt one of the safest cities in the world to me.

To be honest maybe luck but I've never had anything stolen from my person ever can't imagine what that must feel like, a bit creepy I suppose.

Never had a burglary here either though many many have in our area and more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Mum had her phone lifted out of her handbag on an escalator on the MTR. Her bag was open (she's not in the best of health, and taking the MTR is already a struggle for her).
    Thats awful, especially targeting the elderly like that.

Was she covered by any insurance?

Them mainlanders are good at that and also in breaking into homes. They are like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    While true, pickpocketing remains a rarity in Hong Kong.

In 20 years of living here and taking public transport, I can only relate a single incident (at Ocean Park) where my wife's backpack was opened. Nothing got taken as she realised it and yelled causing the perp to flee.

Compare this with our recent trip to Paris where:
    - The very first day, I got surrounded by a group of 10-14 year olds and jostled on the metro (I didnt move, they got nothing)
    - 2 days later, we were approached by "I found a ring" scammer
    - Every outdoor cafe we visited, we were told to put our bags/purses etc toward the inside to prevent snatchers.

It seems to be a national sport in most tourist spots of Europe while its a small irritant on this side of the world...
    Paris is famous for that, I nearly lost my wallet to three guys that jostled me. When I was about to board a metro train one of them went in front of me and pretended he dropped something in the doorway, blocking me, and pushing my leg down when I tried to step over him. The others were pushing from the back "because they wanted to get on the departing train" but actually tried to pull out my wallet. Since I was wearing a long raincoat they couldn't get to it though and when the doors started closing they jumped out, one of them spitting at me. Incompetent assholes.

I was actually cautious and stood with my back against the wall until the train arrived, but as you can see they still find opportunity.

Nowadays mainly groups of teenagers go after Asian tourists (well, mostly Chinese) as many of them carry shopping bags from designer brands. They brazenly take the items out of the bag when e.g. the tourist tries to board a train and before the person realizes what's going the thieves walk away while the tourist can only look on from the inside of the moving train.

Anyway, regardless where you are you should be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:
    Them mainlanders are good at that and also in breaking into homes. They are like the plague.
    And... DRINK!

A tourist guide told me the professional pickpockets (gangs) focus on tourists in the popular tourists spots such as Stanley. Their targets are tourists in organized groups and for a good reason: if they get caught most tourists will not report to the police since it will take a few hours of their time and they have to leave to group to go to the police station which means they have to skip some scheduled destinations. No police report = caught pickpocket is free man