Will be gone for 3 wks... leave A/C on?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Speaking personally, there have only been 3 or 4 days so far this year that have been hot enough to necessitate turning on the air-con at all. Has nobody heard of opening the windows and turning on a fan?

In terms of going away for 3 weeks, just run the de-humidifier before you go and run it again when you get back. If you're a bit of a worrier then chuck some of those de-humidifying sachets in the wardrobe etc before you go.

Turn air con and dehumidifier off. Open a window slightly, to keep rain out, and let fresh air inside. When you get home, close the window and turn air con on. There is no need to run air con for three weeks while you are gone.

I have lived in Hong Kong for six years without any air con in my home, and never had a problem with moisture. In fact, the windows in my flat stay open year round.

Have a good trip.

Hello,

Personally I wouldn't leave your a/c on -

I returned home after a few hours last week to find our aircon unit (which we thought was working perfectly well) spewing water through the ceiling in the lounge.

Could you imagine we'd been away for 3 weeks.....

On the other hand, in one of my apartments I went away for two weeks and came back to my walls and all my leather and various other items covered in mould... The build-up of mould seems to be very apartment-specific here.

Agreed with PDLM. Humidity conditions seem to be specific to buildings or even apartments. I've lived in one place where water would actually condense onto the walls, and other places that were fine with just an open window.

I generally try to avoid opening windows here and run a dehumidifier most of the time. If I wanted to blacken my lungs further, I'd just take up smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'm not disputing that the paper you referenced is accurate scientific data. I'm simply saying that it is not at all relevant to the question of cooling and dehumidifying HK apartments.
    Short reply: I have yet to see anything proving it's not relevant. I'm all ears...

Quote Originally Posted by chowfun:
    Short reply: I have yet to see anything proving it's not relevant. I'm all ears...
    Was that in reference to yet another of your little justifications for not giving a toss about our environment? Give it a rest

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Was that in reference to yet another of your little justifications for not giving a toss about our environment? Give it a rest
    Does it bother you?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3