Like Tree31Likes

We live in a crazy place...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

We live in a crazy place...

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/30/world/asia/hong-kong-kindergarten-competition/

Wow, if you don't have kids here... Count yourself lucky!!

She recalled one of the interviews she took her son to, when he was only 18 months old.
    "They (the children) were in a room with six to seven other kids with the parents sitting behind them.

The teacher would ask them to point to an object in the picture or ask what color it is.

Some kids didn't respond, or started crying and they would just have to move on to the next kid," she said.

"The whole thing lasted for seven minutes. I don't know what criteria they base their admissions on, but it's hard to figure out a kid at one and a half years old."

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Easy.By then the kid should have had certificates in music, dancing, arts and be fluent in 5 languages. Shame on them and desrves them right if they can't even get the basics right!

I am basically preparing for my kid to be uneducated. My wife stood for 1 hour and 45 minutes in a queue to submit a form for kindergarten today.

I'm slowly realizing that the European countries which take 40% to 60% tax but invest that into public education for all, superb healthcare, et al, are onto something. When government actually works to reduce your stress in life, paying that much tax is probably not a bad idea.

Natfixit, drumbrake and Fatelvis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    If your kids don't know 4 languages by the age of 24 months, they may have learning disabilities.

- told by a local parent.

I've got two kids in the local system.

The 5 year old is in P1 and the 4 year olds is in K2.

Getting my oldest into the primary school we wanted was extremely stressful...

That said: Both of my boys are fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin. The oldest plays the violin well enough that he is often chosen to be in shows representing the company...

Both do martial arts, the older does Kung Fu and the younger does Tae Kwon Do...They both dance and have studied Jazz dance....as well as violin, my oldest is in the school band.....after school he does science, maths, drama, violin, Putonghua and loads more I can't think of right now.....

Both my 4 and 5 year old, (he'll be 6 next month), ride BMX and have won trophies....school starts at 8am and finishes at 2pm, then they study until 5:30.....afterwards we play.....we have just come back from BMX training with some other kids their age and they've had a blast....

When I was a kid, there wasn't the chance or the drive to do half of these activities......I ask my oldest at least once a week if he's coping....he knows that I can take him out of this at any time....he loves it! We give all the support he needs......my wife has formed a small group with three other parents of kids at the same school and they and the kids meet up every Saturday evening to discuss the week before and ahead.....

It's not for everyone, but I believe the Hong Kong schooling system, if managed correctly, can work for your children.....it's all about the support you put in as parents.....we're very happy. Not saying it's perfect...there are some things we don't like, but the wealth of experiences our kids are having......the knowledge they have.....plus they get a lot of opportunity for play...

vijucat and Fatelvis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by richteralan:
    If your kids don't know 4 languages by the age of 24 months, they may have learning disabilities.

- told by a local parent.
    Said in sarcasm or were they serious? I can't believe any parent could make such a dumb comment

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Said in sarcasm or were they serious? I can't believe any parent could make such a dumb comment
    We had just met so I was in no way tell whether she was sarcastic or not.

Maybe because she was giving me tutor suggestions.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast