Like Tree37Likes

Any memorable taxi trips?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I've got in some cabs where the drivers were listening to pretty cool stuff (Pink Floyd, The Eagles) and turned it up when they saw I was appreciative and we both just enjoyed it. I've also had a few HK-side cab drivers drive me home from Clearwater Bay, sans meter, for $50 or so since they were heading back to the island anyway.

The Eagles is cool??

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    The Eagles is cool??
    Compared to Lady Gaga or Girls Generation, then yes.

If only they played Mogwai, I would take taxis all the time (:

shenwen and jayinhongkong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    The only taxi trip I really member in a negative way was the one from Central to Gold Coast via Park Island. Not the most obvious route and he seemed upset that I refused to pay the Park Island entry fee!
    How about a positive trip you remember?

I had one serious misdirection/miscommunication when I first moved here.

Let's just say I wound up in Shek Kong instead of Sai Kung. (Leaving from Lo Wu border area)

To this day I always emphasize the "kuuung" instead of saying it like Kong. I hear a lot of people say it like Sai Kong..which of course is wrong.

Last edited by closedcasket; 04-11-2013 at 06:26 PM.

2 weeks I got in a taxi from my GF's place to get back into tst. The driver spoke Cantonese, and I couldn't detect an accent. He then proceeded to reboot his Samsung S4 3 times abd used Google maps as a GPS. The damned thing plotted a route that involved all the back alleys of Kowloon. All that twisting and turning , I just wanted to throw up when I eventually arrived in tst.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Not necessarily. Meters are not used (or partially used) in many cities in/around Asia. When they are used, the charges may get inflated at night (eg : Singapore and its taxi charging schemes).

If you dont know HKG well, you may just assume that meters get turned off when late at night as standard practice (illegal but normal)...
    then your friend was a little stupid not to ask the driver how much.

the driver saw him coming and milked it. not much room for sympathy.

Got into a taxi with the license plate "TAXI."

Also hopped into one that had around a dozen cell phones (maybe more). I have a pic somewhere. I asked the driver if I could take a pic and he was like "ying la "

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-11-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    Koen likes this.

I had the speediest yet scariest taxi ride ever last summer.

Went out for drinks in LKF, decided to not catch the last MTR train (was living out in Tai Wo) which of course results in getting a taxi home. (I can't be arsed to take a night bus).

20 minutes later and 300 bucks lighter I exit the taxi with white knuckles. It also didn't help that he kept twitching his head all over the place whilst driving at neck breaking speeds.