Like Tree13Likes

How countries compare for expats.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Koen:
    Enjoying local food. Singapore 27th Hong Kong 12th! That's it. The whole thing is utter rubbish! All made up.

That's a shocker

Overall though I kind of agree, especially when comparing HK to China. Take away the pollution, dirt and traffic, and Beijing beats HK hands down for work and life.

In my opinion, of course, having lived in both cities for six years a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    Take away the pollution, dirt and traffic, and Beijing beats HK hands down for work and life.
    And the public transport, the easily accessible countryside and the fact that if you don't speak Chinese then HK is far easier to do almost everything in.

I have heard many Taiwanese prefer working in Shanghai n places over Taiwan,
    taiwanese companies pay less than other provinces'
    ^^

yes but apart from pollution, dirt, traffic, public transport, countryside and language what has hk done for us?

Gruntfuttock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    And the public transport, the easily accessible countryside and the fact that if you don't speak Chinese then HK is far easier to do almost everything in.
    Fair point, but having lived in both, for me Beijing would win (I speak Chinese, didn't use public transport - I miss my bike - and having access to countryside wasn't a priority)

You know what, I love HK and it is the right place for me now (with all its problems) but Beijing (with its many problems) was just more fun. More interesting.

Fair point, but having lived in both, for me Beijing would win (I speak Chinese, didn't use public transport - I miss my bike - and having access to countryside wasn't a priority)

You know what, I love HK and it is the right place for me now (with all its problems) but Beijing (with its many problems) was just more fun. More interesting.
    I agree, Beijing is a much better city (more fun, interesting, real, diverse,spacious,better good, better service, etc etc....except for one thing.. AIR.

I was in Beijing last week and the soot/pollution built up to about 1 mm on the hoods of all the cars in one afternoon. It looked like all the cars in the car park hadn't been moved in months. The pollution is so bad you can taste it.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 08-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

China no 1!!!?? This is a joke list.

Original Post Deleted
    They must have shipped it all to Shanghai - http://www.scmp.com/news/china-insid...-hits-shanghai

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Given that a lot of expats living in china will be in Beijing, the mind boogles at how they came up with China as number 1
    Exactly. Together with the food safety issues, ranking China as number 1? Give me a break.

Take away the pollution, dirt and traffic,
    Might as well take away the government corruption, one child policy...etc..etc..

It is no longer a valid comparison once we remove any essential living environmental factors like these because each and every city will be "the best" without pollution, dirt and traffic.

My cousin's whole family lived in Beijing for 4 or 5 years, but then moved back to the US because, well, the place isn't that great, especially for their children.
    Last edited by richteralan; 08-11-2013 at 03:45 PM.