Like Tree57Likes

Typhoon Haiyan in Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15

I cant see anything religious about Crossroads : http://www.crossroads.org.hk/

Indeed, Gruntfuttock's charity du jour, I thought

Quote Originally Posted by araucaria:
    Indeed, Gruntfuttock's charity du jour, I thought
    Not really. In the past I volunteered there at a personal level and also arranged a corporate group to go and do some container loading. As charities go, it's OK: the founders and their family/managers do a good job of keeping their evangelical religion out of it (most of the time, and certainly out of all published material). I have a couple of friends who volunteer there one or two days each week currently, but they both feel that the place is hugely inefficient - they have huge numbers of people volunteering time and effort, but it's all stereotypically woolly NGO style. There are very few, if any, people there in management positions who seem to have any experience of running anything much except woolly NGO organisations. Everyone is free, so nobody is really used very effectively.

What they do is, of course, good, but my impression is that it could be so much better with some people with genuine management and organisational skills running the place.

My main charity du jour, as araucaria put it, is actually Room to Read (as supported by the Moontrekker hike). That's run by John Wood, who made a fortune as one of the early and senior managers of Microsoft. They employ and pay competent people and they run far, far more effectively in my opinion.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 19-11-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo

Western Union, in UK at least, is doing free money transfers to Phils until Nov 30th

The Beckhams dropped by their local charity shop to donate some things for the Phils. Long queue to get hold of the Jimmy Choos, D and G, etc. Good on them!

Name:  hai 1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  64.8 KB

Touching story of an Aeta tribe in Phils harvesting their crop and sending it together with money to the typhoon victims. Some of you donated to help the Aeta before, now they say it is their turn to help others even if their families go hungry

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The Beckhams dropped by their local charity shop to donate some things for the Phils. Long queue to get hold of the Jimmy Choos, D and G, etc. Good on them!
    Some get praise and some get scorn
    http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...phoon-victims/

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15