Like Tree57Likes

Typhoon Haiyan in Philippines

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    The humidity and temperature has certainly dropped in HK (thankfully), as it should, for this time of the year. However, that's not the case further south in the tropics. Late season typhoons usually don't venture to HK (although there are exceptions), but that's not the case for the Philippines. In fact, late season typhoons, while usually at more southern latitudes, are usually the strongest (when the chance of super typhoons are most likely- like this Super Typhoon Haiyan).
    The humidity and temperature HAVE certainly dropped in HK...

Quote Originally Posted by kendavies:
    grammar police alert!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    grammar police alert!!!
    You missed INXS's last post I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by kendavies:
    Of course, my mistake. Btw, do you have a point here about typhoons?

5:28 pm here in Manila and it's dark as night out...pretty scary. I can only imagine what my friends are going through! We had a helper from Iloilo when we were kids and she worked for us for a decade--hope she makes it through this storm ok! Phones and power are down most places in the Visayas, so there's pretty much no way of knowing how people are doing until this is over.

Many of the people out on Bohol don't even have homes right now because they collapsed or are too dangerous to live in because of the possibility of collapse...they've been making do with tents and food and water donations. Not a pleasant situation to be in right now...

reports coming in via fb of cities flooded. power and phones out across whole region. torrential rain as far away as north luzon way north of manila.

to give an idea of the size see the list of provinces under warning:

http://m.philstar.com/414576/show/ad...ef56701428c7/?

I don't mean to kick someone when they are down (and this is not a criticism against the Filipino people, but their government), but given the fact that the Philippines is one of the most typhoon-prone country in the world, could'nt they have made better preparation for it? I've read the news that some folks there don't even realize there was a super typhoon bearing down on them. And some of the buildings there were little more than metal sheds with their roofs held down by worn tires. These buildings are not going to last against your run-of-the-mill typhoon, never mind a super typhoon.

You would think a government who have ample experience with typhoons would at least try to improve the building code in their country to enhance it's typhoon-resistance.

Anyway, my hope and prayers with the Filipino people.

Last edited by Watercooler; 08-11-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    You would think a government who have ample experience with typhoons would at least try to improve the building code in their country to enhance it's typhoon-resistance.
    This is a ludicrous comment. You've clearly never been to a third world country with your eyes open!
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 08-11-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Why are expats the centre of attention here?

It is the people who live in the many parts of the Philippines who are suffering here. It may be "big news for expats", but it is much bigger news for the 105 million Philippine nationals, many of whom have lost their homes.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast