Like Tree57Likes

Typhoon Haiyan in Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I don't mean to kick someone when they are down (and this is not a criticism against the Filipino people, but their government), but given the fact that the Philippines is one of the most typhoon-prone country in the world, could'nt they have made better preparation for it? I've read the news that some folks there don't even realize there was a super typhoon bearing down on them. And some of the buildings there were little more than metal sheds with their roofs held down by worn tires. These buildings are not going to last against your run-of-the-mill typhoon, never mind a super typhoon.

You would think a government who have ample experience with typhoons would at least try to improve the building code in their country to enhance it's typhoon-resistance.

Anyway, my hope and prayers with the Filipino people.
    stupid comment. apart from evacuating 1 million people, gearing up the army and rescue services, providing emergency supplies and basically putting the country on war basis yep they did nothing.

I saw there are lots of kids die because of bad water in africa. why dont their govts fit taps?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    This is a ludicrous comment. You've clearly never been to a third world country with your eyes open!
    My eyes have always been wide open. "It's a third country" is an excuse used one too many times. In fact, one can say that is actually insulting to Filipinos. Their country has alot of potential, one should'nt confuse it with an African basket case. But it is held back by incompetent and corrupt governance. It's about time Filipinos start to expect better from their government. It's time for the Philippines to stop being a third world country, like some of their neighbours.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 08-11-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    stupid comment. apart from evacuating 1 million people, gearing up the army and rescue services, providing emergency supplies and basically putting the country on war basis yep they did nothing.
    I did'nt say the Philippines government did'nt do anything. But it's not enough. I'm talking about long-term preparation. For a country that endure frequent typhoons, better planning for infrastructure is required. These evacuatees may not have a home to return to after Haiyan has leveled their houses. Had their government been more proactive and plan for the long-term, maybe more houses will survive, and then the damage may be lessen.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 08-11-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    My eyes have always been wide open. "It's a third country" is an excuse used one too many times. In fact, one can say that is actually insulting to Filipinos. They should expect better from their government. It's time for the Philippines to stop being a third world country, like some of their neighbours.
    ah simple.

ah simple.
    Yes, making changes is never easy or quick in life. But if people just give up and accept the (dreadful) status quo, nothing will ever change for the better, will it?

Hell, I mean HK was once a third world backwater (some may argue it still is in a certain sense), but now it has modern developed infrastructure that is somewhat more resistant to typhoons. You think that was easy for HK too?

talking about building codes when a large percentage of the population are hungry ranks up there with let them eat cake. I suggest a trip to phils for you.

chingleutsch likes this.

talking about building codes when a large percentage of the population are hungry ranks up there with let them eat cake. I suggest a trip to phils for you.
    I have been there and I was impressed with the friendliness, honesty and work ethics of Filipinos. I was far less impressed with their government. Like I said, the country is not reaching it's potential.

Just because some of them go hungry does not mean one should not attempt anything to strengthen their building codes. Yes, resources are limited, but they should still try their best to improve their buildings. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 08-11-2013 at 10:51 PM.

you are clueless.

you are clueless.
    Ah, typical geoexpat response when confronted with an uncomfortable (but true) point.

Of course, they are "just" a third world country, so what do you expect from them? Unlike our "advanced" and "modern" countries. Don't you see what is wrong with that line of argument?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 08-11-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast