Like Tree194Likes

China donates $100,000 to Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I'm blind. Just like you. None of us have all of the facts. The difference is that I'm not inventing a story to support any inbuilt biases I may have. You are.
    we have a lot of facts. Throwing in stuff about looting for tvs was cheap. If you watch the news you will see they were mostly carrying food. If your children had not eaten for days what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    If you are so annoyed about this, then please write to your legislator.
    One of your more amusing comments so far as you, and everyone else here I would assume, knows full well that nothing would be accomplished by that!
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    Aid saves lives agreed? (why else are you donating?)

witholding aid for political reasons or because you do not like them therefore results in preventable deaths.

Explain to me why this is trivial please
    Hmm... interesting logic! Lives lost because one country did not donate enough? Then we are all guilty!
    Just imagine the dollars saved if the US did not send that warship and used that money to buy food and water instead!
    So what will be the number of lives lost from not donating enough? Give me a figure.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I'm blind. Just like you. None of us have all of the facts. The difference is that I'm not inventing a story to support any inbuilt biases I may have. You are.
    says the pro china guy last time when mainlanders were shitting on the train, with movies to back it up, you were still trying to make excuses, saying you hoped they were locals instead of mainlanders.

Really, many of us here aren't anti-china perse. But you must be blind to not see there's a good reason china has donated only 100k this time (10% of their previous donation)
    I thought the chinese always cared about "face"? This 100k donation is pathetic, no matter how you look at it. an insult to china themselves.

Hmm... interesting logic! Lives lost because one country did not donate enough? Then we are all guilty!
    Just imagine the dollars saved if the US did not send that warship and used that money to buy food and water instead!
    So what will be the number of lives lost from not donating enough? Give me a figure.
    So why did you donate?

Yes we are all guilty but some more than others.

You and INXS are slithering in a disgusting manner.
    Gatts and Cwbguy like this.

For the record I am not anti China at all but on this issue they are WRONG

HowardCoombs likes this.

IF China really ony donates 100K and nothing else (let's give them the benefit of the doubt a little longer) then it is PATHETIC and there is nothing else to say.

There is no need to look at the past of what other nations gave etc etc...

MAJOR disaster struck your neighbor. YOU are a major player in the area. YOU DONATE a DECENT amount.
    Cwbguy, dipstick and shenwen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    So why did you donate?

Yes we are all guilty but some more than others.

You and INXS are slithering in a disgusting manner.
    Simply because I felt I have to contribute and help out.I know lots of people who didn't but then that's their choice. I am not going to insult or shame them.
    The amount I gave may or may not be enough but then again I don't know. Perhaps I should fly over there and be more use as a volunteer, perhaps if I skip one week's dinner I could save 10 more lives. I honestly don't know. I only know that I done my bit without fretting on about what others have done.

And equally amusing to see you frothing at the mouth just because this is China related and you have something to bash them around the head with.

If you can comprehend, my logic is simply that a donation is voluntary and no one is obliged to give anything or should be chastised for giving small amounts. I find it hilarious that people are getting out calculators and calculating how much China should be giving and in the process getting so worked up about it. I wouldn't care either if it was US doing this. Again, a donation is voluntary! You can't put a value on a gift. Bottom line, they had contributed.

Would you at say a school event seek out the wealthiest parents and force them to donate greater amounts and wish them dead if they do not do so? Would you get out a calculator and calculate the level of their sponsorship based of them living on the Peak?

Gatts, please tell me why are you and some others getting so worked up and indignant about how much China should be giving? If you are so annoyed about this, then please write to your legislator.

I will donate and help where possible and quite frankly I don't care what you or others give. I am more concerned that I have made my contribution to help others.

Get a grip!
    I agree, on a PERSONAL level donations to charity are voluntary. On a COUNTRY level, overseas aid is voluntary and political.

But this is in a different category all together. This is a natural calamity, unforeseen, hard to avoid, with collosal damage and hundreds of thousands of people affected. This should not be voluntary - no country should be able to ignore such suffering. To do so speaks volumes about their humanity.
    dipstick, Koen, Cwbguy and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    What I find quite disturbing is that in the UK, etc the typhoon has been massive news, headline news. In HK its just been a bit of a by-line to other things.
    I found that incredibly odd. I rushed to the TV to see the news on the disaster first night only to be met with some idiot going on about TV licences.

Maybe its just the constant state of befuddlement here but this seemed beyond the pail.

It was leading news across the world, but not apparently in Bonkers?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast