Like Tree39Likes

Culture comparison! Lack of courtesy.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

it seems to me that the problem is improving on the bus and train journeys that I take daily, though sadly it is usually older folks giving up their seats for the elderly while young people are oblivious. i do see fewer and fewer people giving up seats to children than before however (though I see no problem with this if the kid is able to stand by themselves easily)…where before it seemed the trains were full of kids as old as maybe 8 being offered seats...

Natfixit and East_coast like this.

When i was pregnant I was usually offered a seat as soon as I got on, or if not, certainty at the first stop. I also always get offered a seat if I've got baby in the carrier.

My sister says despite the 'baby on board' badge no one on the tube in london ever offered her a seat.

I give up my seat if I see someone who needs its, like a pregnant lady or elderly or person with prominent injury. However, sadly and this makes me angry, are little kids who rush onto the train to grab the seats, often knocking aside someone ( yep, that's been me), and the parents do nothing about it. It's this "me first attitude" that has taken over the " after you" ethic. Even 15 yrs ago, on a London bus, this nun was astounded that my father ( older than herself) offered his seat as no one else usually did.

East_coast and anothercanuck like this.

In the 2nd month I arrived in HK, I actually physically removed a teenager from his seat as he refused to give it up for a really elderly lady. The old lady was just standing directly in front of him. I nudged his foot, he carried on pretending to be asleep. I then shouted at him, and he turned his back on me. I then politely asked the old lady to take a step back, then I yanked the bugger and threw him to the other side of the carriage.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    In the 2nd month I arrived in HK, I actually physically removed a teenager from his seat as he refused to give it up for a really elderly lady. The old lady was just standing directly in front of him. I nudged his foot, he carried on pretending to be asleep. I then shouted at him, and he turned his back on me. I then politely asked the old lady to take a step back, then I yanked the bugger and threw him to the other side of the carriage.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    While he was wrong not to offer his seat in the first place why didnt you ask him politely instead of nudging his feet, shouting and then physically removing him?

I know it is frustrating but you were able to ask the old lady politely. Would have been great to first start w the little bastard politely.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

my main reason in starting this discussion was my surprise at the high level of courtesy I witnessed on Shenzhen buses recently. I've certainly had the displeasure of seeing the lack of manners with many aspects of Shenzhen bus travel, but, from my limited experiences, the mainlanders certainly showed more respect for their elderly and pregnant fellow passengers than in my HK bus travels.

(Some) Locals stare at the floor or their phones or anywhere to avoid looking at the elderly or pregnant women... it's quite a skill NOT to LOOK.

Elegiaque likes this.

I've just been to a quick job and back. On the way there a local stood up for an old lady and on the way back for a lady with a small child. Maybe you should use the light rail

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

I'm not sure when someone moving to HK from the Mainland becomes a "local", but on the Light Rail there's a pretty good chance the people involved have only been in HK a few years at most.

I don't agree with this. I often see elderly people offered seats on the MTR here. Often I am surprised at how quickly someone leaps out of their seat to offer theirs.

East_coast and gunsnroses like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast