a guide familiar with true HK

Closed Thread

a guide familiar with true HK

I will be flying in HK next month for business and I have two days for myself. I have been here couple of times, so I would like someone with local knowledge who can show me true HK. I hope there is an English-speaking guy who can guide me the tour. I always like going to some unmarked but interesting places when I am travelling a city, but I am afraid to get lost. Is there anyone like to be my guide or where can I find any companies that provide such services in HK?

Hi,

I am free for the first 2 weeks of July and would be more than happy to show you round. I am originally from the UK and have lived in HK for 3 years.
    I am moving on shortly and will be visiting the sights once more before leaving.

Mmm what is the true HK? The peak? Chungking mansion? Shopping on Nathan Rd, CWB or the ladies market in Mongkok? Going to the beach? Hiking the trails? Checking out the villages on Lantau or Cheng Chau? Visiting the big buddha? Slumming it in Wanchai or seen and be seen in LKF? Taking the Star Ferry? Having seafood in Sai Kung? Golfing at Kau Sai Chau? Bike ride on the path between Sha Tin and Tai Po?

It's all the "true HK." Get out your hotel, walk around, refill your Octopus and take a random bus somewhere without checking your mapbook, and bask in the melange of cultures and experiences that is Hong Kong. (Remember the number, though, so you can return to where you were!)

To act as if places like Central are not part of the "true Hong Kong" is terribly obnoxious. It's just as annoying as those who express disdain for Shanghai and Hong Kong, as if they are not "real China."

Oups forgot HK Disney, Ocean Park and the Ngong Ping cable car

If the OP can hire a charter boat, he/she could always venture out to High Island. Lots of old derelict houses there, displaying a very different era of HK. Good out door dai pai dong style seafood restaurant by the beach out there, in a truly local unpretentious fishing village style.

It will be a whole day out, best to leave mid morning, as it will take over an hour to get there. Once you are there, you can wander around the tiny island, enjoy the many old abandoned homes, some older than 150 yers old, hunt around on the beach for 19th century old opium pottery containers, ( a large thimble sized ) when the tide is out later in the afternoon.

One of Hong Kongs oldest (or it is the oldest ) Buddhist temples is also located there.

A great day out if you want to avoid shops, and signs of the western worlds foot print.

You can hire charter boats/Junks in Sai Kung and Hebe Haven btw.

Last edited by Skyhook; 18-06-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    If the OP can hire a charter boat, he/she could always venture out to High Island. Lots of old derelict houses there, displaying a very different era of HK. Good out door dai pai dong style seafood restaurant by the beach out there, in a truly local unpretentious fishing village style.

It will be a whole day out, best to leave mid morning, as it will take over an hour to get there. Once you are there, you can wander around the tiny island, enjoy the many old abandoned homes, some older than 150 yers old, hunt around on the beach for 19th century old opium pottery containers, ( a large thimble sized ) when the tide is out later in the afternoon.

One of Hong Kongs oldest (or it is the oldest ) Buddhist temples is also located there.

A great day out if you want to avoid shops, and signs of the western worlds foot print.

You can hire charter boats/Junks in Sai Kung and Hebe Haven btw.
    Is it the name of the island? "High Island"

Would love to go there?

Ngong Ping service still suspended

...since the big storm of the other weekend. It's currently not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueValentine:
    Is it the name of the island? "High Island"

Would love to go there?

G'day Blue Valentine,

Locally its called Leung Shuen Wan. Sai Kung locals all know the Yau Ley Seafood restaurant located there, in Sha Kiu village. http://www.yauleyseafood.com.hk/

It's a great day out, totally worth it, providing the weather is not inclement, like it is right now.. The abandoned houses are great to wander around, dotted along the cove trail.

Some photo's below, of when we were last there, at the end of last winter.

Name:  P1150492.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  242.0 KB

Name:  P1150525.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  455.1 KB

Name:  P1150513.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  438.4 KB

Name:  P1150549.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  234.6 KB

Name:  P1150604.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  269.6 KB
    Last edited by Skyhook; 18-06-2008 at 06:02 PM.

[QUOTE=Skyhook;223197]G'day Blue Velentine,

Locally its called Leung Shuen Wan. Sai Kung locals all know the Yau Ley Seafood restaurant located there, in Sha Kiu village. http://www.yauleyseafood.com.hk/

It's a great day out, totally worth it, providing the weather is not inclement, like it is right now.. The abandoned houses are great to wander around, dotted along the cove trail.

Thank you Skyhook

Wow! that looks great. Already added to my "to explore" list. I am waiting for this really inclement weather to ease up so that I can go exploring. Tung Ping Chau is one of those places that is high on my list.