Like Tree106Likes

Hong Kong (future concerns, should I stay or leave this city for USA)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nycsweden:
    Hi Kiz, while i agree in a way, it makes sense to take the job and save up a bit and then prepare for the big move. However, two problems. 1) this role was via networking (family) so in a way USING the company just collect a few paychecks wouldn't look very good (maybe even worse than to decline it now, saying its not for me) and 2) If i don't travel now, that's 18 months of opportunity cost that i will miss not being where i want to be.
    1) 18 months is an acceptable amount of time in HK to stay in a job, I don't think you will be causing any issues to you father in law for leaving then. Also in HK many jobs are obtained through contacts... so this situation is really very very normal here.

2) Sure opportunity cost. But realistically are you going to get a job? There are lots of unemployed traders floating around these days... It's generally easier to get a job when you already have a job.

Obviously I disagree with your reasoning on both points above, but it's not like there is only one right answer, it's all a matter of opinion all of which can be very valid.

However, you seem very sure now moving is a better option for you. Which I imagine was all you wanted to achieve from this exercise, to brainstorm pro's and con's / options etc. If that is the case go with it and move forward and hopefully it will work out really well in the US.
    z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenChan:
    You really need to work this out with your wife.

Is she willing to drop everything immediately and make the move NOW? If not, you're not going to move by yourself are you? If you plans to move "some day", then you really need to accept that job offer.
    Hi, truth is she doesn't really like her job, and she wouldn't mind leaving it. In fact, regardless since we got married this summer she has told me she would suck it up for the fall, take the bonus and then leave early 2014.

The plan (or one of the plans i am suggesting in this post, 1/2 of my solutions if you may) is for me to move back now, travel light, look and secure a job. Then when feb/march comes, my wife would quit, and join me. This is if we decide to leave that is

As a previous poster mentioned, I wager that a lot of us can identify with a lot of your feelings and pressures (although I doubt many of us would be able to commit it so eloquently to text) so don't think you're going through this alone.

I've not much more to add to what others have said (particularly Kim), but one other thing that struck me is that you're finally at a self-imposed crossroads. You don't appear to be under any time pressure to act quickly.

Maybe you should try the job out. I mean, if you're willing to turn it down (and face any family consequences as a result), then there's not much difference in trying the job for three months and then quitting. That's probably what I would do.

For me, my work environment has a huge bearing on my happiness and my home life. You might suprise yourself if you take that job and all of a sudden enjoy it. You won't know until you try.

Anyway, good luck and please come back and tell us how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Isn't that exactly what it is? A comparison?

If there are figures available (and it looks like there is) then you can compare it. I'm not familiar with the air-quality jargon but are these figures not a standard measurement? Unless you are saying the readings are inaccurate.....

I've never spent any significant amount of time in the US so I can't comment but I did live in London for 10 years and I can't really tell the difference between there and HK. Granted I live in NT but I work in Central.

If you are moving to one of the major cities in the US, how much real difference is there?

I doubt anyone (including myself) really understand what the measurements mean. Like all statistics they are useless unless fully understood and interpreted.

Having lived in both areas for a significant amount of time and traveled both areas extensively, I can tell you that there is a huge difference between air quality here and in the US. I've never even noticed the air in the US. People don't measure it or talk about it in most areas because it isn't a big deal.

Here people routinely get respiratory problems, schools have been advised to keep kids indoors, there are days you can barely see across the harbor..etc etc
    nycsweden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I'm not sure what you are trying to sell here...
    Just the truth, nothing but the truth.

People have this clean vision of most US cities but the stats which are freely available say otherwise.
    but there is no comparison between Hong Kong's air and that of most US cities (I've lived in and spent time in several of them). Hong Kong's air is completely unhealthy and whereas US cities are not
    Me2 - spent plenty of time on both sides of the earth and my parents are still on the other side. Your words "completely unhealthy" are not very precise, the stats speak for themselves.
    Moving from Hong Kong to the US for cleaner makes a lot of sense, and a lot of people do it....especially those with kids.
    Indeed, many parents do. But yet, we keep hearing about this big shortage of school places for kids of expat parents coming into Hong Kong - clearly there is plenty of inbound as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Just the truth, nothing but the truth.

People have this clean vision of most US cities but the stats which are freely available say otherwise.
    Me2 - spent plenty of time on both sides of the earth and my parents are still on the other side. Your words "completely unhealthy" are not very precise, the stats speak for themselves.
    Indeed, many parents do. But yet, we keep hearing about this big shortage of school places for kids of expat parents coming into Hong Kong - clearly there is plenty of inbound as well.
    Think we all agree that the air in Hong Kong ins't good, some of the large US cities aren't that good either. I spent years in NYC, and while the roadside pollution was pretty bad, we always had clear blue skies, and you would see the stars at night.

but in short i agree with you, the large US cities are not "heaven" either, significantly better but not "heaven"

Don't agree with you though on the last paragraph, i read the news every day, local and international. To me they always talk about this "brain drain" from HK to elsewhere in the world. I know many move to Singapore for more space and cleaner air. New territories have a large influx though, from mainlanders, and that causes a lot of issues with schools, that's on the news daily, i think that's what you were referring to
    Last edited by nycsweden; 06-12-2013 at 05:19 PM.

I have lived in all three places you mention and have asked myself exactly the same when I was your age.
    My comment posted earlier was the advice I had been given, and it turned out to be true.

In other words, live wherever you decide to and be content with your choice. That's part of the difference between a maximizer and satisfizer.

cookie09 and mrdollars like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    No matter where you go the pain is the same just the components are different
    Very true, but i have the choice now to set the stage if you may where i would meet this pain

Quote Originally Posted by nycsweden:
    but in short i agree with you, the large US cities are not "heaven" either, significantly better but not "heaven"
    Yup, thank you for getting my point.
    Don't agree with you though on the last paragraph, i read the news every day, local and international. To me they always talk about this "brain drain" from HK to elsewhere in the world. I know many move to Singapore for more space and cleaner air. New territories have a large influx though, from mainlanders, and that causes a lot of issues with schools, that's on the news daily, i think that's what you were referring to
    The mainlanders only affect the north-end schools. No, what I'm referring to is the incoming expats and their kids. I'm talking about these type of articles:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...f-schools.html
    If you can believe them, they are saying that expats are staying away due to school places - not due to pollution.

Anyway, my point is, do your homework and compare the 2 environments with intellectual honesty. In your original post, you were talking about EU 6-8 and WHO recommending 20 and below. While HKG may be much higher (no need to debate that), the number of decently sized US cities achieving the <20 mark is very very few indeed.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast