Like Tree29Likes

Are HK people really a miserable lot? Or just misunderstood?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    There are real drugs to help you thru your issues. mhahk.org.hk can help you thru it.

In the meantime, remember :

For some he provides frustration, for others, pure amusement. Did you hear the story about the cyclist that went to Tsiu Wah?
    Well, given your history of posts, I think you are the one who is taking plenty of drugs, no? Did you hear the story about the one who is clueless about why Sai Kung is congested on a weekend? Oh wait. I am digressing. Maybe I should stick to topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Yes, I must confess I have taken drugs. The drug in question is called "clear thinking". Maybe you should try that for a change, something geoexpat posters may need every now and then.

Besides, I would hardly rate the Yau Yat Cheun Club as an elite club in the city.

But how often do you go to these elite clubs? Are you seeing the whole picture? Maybe they gave you a different treatment by virtue of you being an expat?
    We go several times a month with my wife (local) and our friend (local) - is that an issue for you? (they go plenty of time without me and recevei equally good treatment and the kids love it - and they are very nice to kids)

Does that make us snob?
    For the record we live in the NT, in a flat we bought and run a 35K 10 years old Bimmer...........

And Yau Yat Chuen may or may not be an elite (I personally do not care much but it seems you do) but it still cost HKD 700K to get in and 950/month. Hardly something I call cheap. (Btw Jockey Club costs only HKD 400K..)

You simply don't know much about "these clubs" as you say and talk from a position of ignorance (and jealousy it seems to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Maybe I am having a slow start to the morning, but can anyone explain in simple language exactly what is the relevance of WC's posts on this thread?
    I am challenging your view about expat's club membership. Just a word of kind advice, if you don't want your posts questioned, maybe you shouldn't post them here in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    We go several times a month with my wife (local) and our friend (local) - is that an issue for you? (they go plenty of time without me and recevei equally good treatment and the kids love it - and they are very nice to kids)

Does that make us snob?
    For the record we live in the NT, in a flat we bought and run a 35K 10 years old Bimmer...........

And Yau Yat Chuen may or may not be an elite (I personally do not care much but it seems you do) but it still cost HKD 700K to get in and 950/month. Hardly something I call cheap. (Btw Jockey Club costs only HKD 400K..)

You simply don't know much about "these clubs" as you say and talk from a position of ignorance (and jealousy it seems to me)
    My apologies for impugning you or your membership in clubs.

But back to the topic, plenty of rich locals can afford 700K. The question is not just the membership fee, but the social status attached. And I humbly think the Yat Yau Chuen club rank at least a level below the top-tier clubs like the HK club or jockey club.

Speaking of which, (and in in my defense), I've been to the jockey club, on numerous occasions. My boss is a member there and sometimes just to get out of the office, he would invite us to the clubhouse to hold impromptu meetings. Yes, I am talking about the Happy Valley clubhouse at Shan Kwong Road and the Beas River Clubhouse at Fanling. Yes, the food is pretty good and the facilities there are not bad. But nothing so out-of-this-world as to make me want to be a member. From my observations, I do find some of these members to be rather snobby. From the way they treat you and the way they talk to you, it becomes rather apparent.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 09-12-2013 at 11:07 AM.

I'l bite! With respect you can shove your kind advice you know where.

Which clubs I may or may not be a member of is not exactly relevant to this thread.

You are coming across as a chippy and jealous individual.

Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Well, given your history of posts, I think you are the one who is taking plenty of drugs, no?
    No.
    Just a word of kind advice, if you don't want your posts questioned, maybe you shouldn't post them here in the first place?
    Advice that you clearly dont heed.
    Or are you all secretly a member of those elite social clubs in the city? ... Of course, I personally could never stand the snobbery, but what about you? Sure, you will never admit to being one of those rich snobs, but given the chance to join one of those clubs, would you turn down that chance?

I've been to the jockey club, on numerous occasions. ...From my observations, I do find some of these members to be rather snobby. From the way they treat you and the way they talk to you, it becomes rather apparent.
    Could it be that they find you boorish, uncouth and generally unpleasant to be around? Or perhaps its just your childishness and argumentative nature they object to...
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 09-12-2013 at 11:14 AM.

I'l bite! With respect you can shove your kind advice you know where.

Which clubs I may or may not be a member of is not exactly relevant to this thread.

You are coming across as a chippy and jealous individual.
    Ok....cwbguy, I think you should chill a bit. Looks like you got out of the wrong side bed this morning. If it makes you feel better, I'm sorry to piss you off ok? I never knew you were so sensitive...

Back to topic? Sure. HK has alot of wonderful things going for it too The first-rate public transportation? The low taxes? Good food? Rule of law (in contrast to the mainland)? I'm not saying locals aren't justified to feeling upset, but it may also be true some locals may simply be spoiled...

it be that they find you boorish, uncouth and generally unpleasant to be around? Or perhaps its just your childishness and argumentative nature they object to...
    Almost took the words out of my mouth!

I was thinking that was because of the way WC presents himself. Do the club members speak very slowly and loudly to him?

Wc-i am perfectly chilled thanks, just trying to work out what the hell you are on about, and I am not remotely pissed off, bemused maybe.
    Last edited by Cwbguy; 09-12-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Almost took the words out of my mouth!
    Hey, are you really in CWB? Perhaps you can join me at the Football Club or RHKYC after work for a drink; I'm a member of both and find both to be excellent places to relax, enjoy a nice cold one surrounded by nice, social and like minded people.

No.Advice that you clearly dont heed.
    Could it be that they find you boorish, uncouth and generally unpleasant to be around? Or perhaps its just your childishness and argumentative nature they object to...
    Me boorish? I do apologize if I came across as rather...blunt. I am known to be a bit n the direct side, better to call a spade a spade rather than beat around the bush...