Like Tree2Likes

Race horse dies at Sha Tin

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Race horse dies at Sha Tin

Unfortunate, but true. The jockey suffered some damage too but still alive. I do not believe the horse died of the track injuries but rather was destroyed; euthanasia in fact, if we can use that term for animals. This because horses do not take kindly to medical care. Of course we have all seen the cowboy in the wild west movie pull the trigger and shoot the old nag in the head but what method is used today as i do not think the police were called in to do the deed. Some lethal drug maybe? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Of course we have all seen the cowboy in the wild west movie pull the trigger and shoot the old nag in the head but what method is used today as i do not think the police were called in to do the deed. Some lethal drug maybe? Anyone know?
    I'm not aware of this specific incident but I know for a fact that in general the ambulance that follows all the horses around the track has firearms inside along with staff fully qualified to use them, just for this purpose.

I've seen it happen once, in Happy Valley. Quite sure they used an injection. But probably just because it wasn't going crazy from the pain. It hurt its leg even before it got in the 'starting box', so somehow they made it lay down and put a screen between it and the spectators and killed it quietly. Probably they would use guns if it refuses in some way? They just continued the races afterwards. I lost interest in going there at that point, even though I knew that this happens from time to time.

Do they still use bolt guns?

@bffallo. Do you know that the average life span of a greyhound dog is 90 days? Those pups that cannot run fast are put down immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    @bffallo. Do you know that the average life span of a greyhound dog is 90 days? Those pups that cannot run fast are put down immediately.
    Got a source on that?

Question what did they do with the meat? I'm sure we got some brits here miss an authentic hamburger like they make them back home.

closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    Question what did they do with the meat? I'm sure we got some brits here miss an authentic hamburger like they make them back home.
    ikea meatballs

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Do they still use bolt guns?
    used to be a bolt gun and a tickling stick - shoved in the hole and moved around to mush the brains. been there done that on a cow though

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/horse-racing/25289554

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast