Credit Card payment @ $19.50

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Er, wow! Personal liberty, who needs it eh? Are you seriously suggesting that the state should reasonably be able to trace every financial transaction you make with anyone?

Have you ever read a book called "1984"? If not I strongly recommend that you do so. And if you have then I strongly recommend that you try again because you obviously didn't understand it.
    Not when you put it that way, although I am not sure the "personal liberty" to spend cash is way up there on my list of liberties worthy of protecting with my life.
    And yes, I know any number of people can come up with the old legal boogyman of the "slippery slope" which always leads to total destruction of life as we know it. "Sure, first it's thieves but then the government will want to know why you spent $1,000 on a hotel room in Australia...."
    My concern runs along the lines of the black/underground economy where criminals and organized crime syndicates operate. Not my latest credit card bill.

I understand your point, and that's why I am reasonably OK with the rules that require banks and other financial institutions to register transactions above US$10K, but having the capability to track every minutia of every person's life bothers me, particularly when you combine it with the ever increasing ability of "big brother" to access phone records (which for mobiles these days are also essentially location tracking records) without very strong judicial oversight.

The key point being "strong judicial oversight" and I would throw in "a justice system you can trust to be--as much as possible--fair".
    Somebody had earlier said they would trust the HK government with these types of records, I am not so sure. Seems this government would yield to Beijing, if push came to shove and I would not trust Beijing.

& speaking of Beijing has anyone here used their CC in the mainland? although some places accept CC here, i wouldnt dare hand them a card that they can easily clone & No i have never used my card here.

I guess it was in the news that a HK guy used his card somewhere in Lowu & when the bill came he was rattled with stuff he didn't buy

I have used my card in the mainland, but we are talking Shangri-la hotels and not in the 5 floors of fake merchandise.
    I take that back, we used the credit card to buy curtains and no problems.

lol @Sleuth, well i would rather use cash with those type of places