Credit Card payment @ $19.50

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Credit Card payment @ $19.50

Do you pay with credit card when you shop at wellcome or parknshop for the price of $19.50 & that's not all you opted to give $0.50 so that it would be a clean $19 on your statement bill.

I have noticed a lot of hongkongers do this, using CC when shopping for small change & it takes up the line coz there's 3 of them

yeah, I do. I don't pay the 50c in cash, but I put all I can on my CC, cos cash is a bit of a rare thing sometimes

I think it's better than paying all my bills at 7 eleven during peak hour or spending 10 minutes at the ATM, not that I have noticed anyone doing those things...

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 21-06-2008 at 05:04 PM.

For that sort of money surely it's much easier to pay by Octopus? Much quicker than credit card and if your Octopus is auto-reloading via your credit card anyway then no different in terms of cash requirement.

yes and no.. it takes just as long to put $1000 on CC as it does to put $20.

And I haven't put Octopus onto top-up thingy, so it still cash there to me

But yes, you're technically very correct

...but what is the limit on the price when using CC? if you buy something like $5 will they accept CC?

some shops put a sign that a min. spending of $200 is needed before CC can be used but i guess in wellcome they don't have a cap on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mengfei:
    ...but what is the limit on the price when using CC? if you buy something like $5 will they accept CC?

some shops put a sign that a min. spending of $200 is needed before CC can be used but i guess in wellcome they don't have a cap on it.
    Yes they will accept HKD$5.. I tried it before when I needed to use 10 transactions for my Philippine Credit Card to waive the annual fee.

I was quite impressed when I managed to get Amazon.co.uk to take a 1p (about 15 HK cents) transaction on my C/C - I had a 20GBP gift code, and my total transaction came to 20.01GBP

I try to use the CC as often as possible, regardless of the size of the charge. I will be happy when cash is eliminated as a method of paying.

I'm not sure if it will ever go entirely (and frankly there are occasions where the untraceability of cash is good). For me one big step would be if (probably as part of the next fare increase deal) the government mandates that taxis start taking Octopus. That would get my cash expenditure down to only a couple of hundred a month most months.

I doubt it will ever go away, but it would be nice. I'm not sure I agree with the "untraceability" statement. Most of the actions benefitting from the untraceability should be eliminated from society anyway. I might be willing to give up any "good" things to get rid of the "bad" things.
    Do wish cabs would take Octopus, though. It'd be a big convenience.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast