liberal churches in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread

liberal churches in Hong Kong?

Wondering if there are any English-speaking liberal churches in Hong Kong? For example, taking a historical-metaphorical approach to the Bible rather than a literal-factual approach, being inclusive etc? Thanks.

did you ever get a response to this question? i am looking for precisely the same type of religious community. thanks,

So, HK, you want a church that is not rooted in the "facts?" Not grounded in the literal truth? One that is merely an abstraction, a fantasy? humm...

Most churches tend not to be fundamentalist loony bins, where have you been looking?

fm7

Can't offer any suggestions but interested to see any hints...

nrwillia, please check your PM box. Thanks.

I'd guess the OP was looking for something known in the US as "New Thought".

Democrats Abroad have a happy hour at Dublin Jack's tonight. Perhaps that would suffice...?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielV:
    So, HK, you want a church that is not rooted in the "facts?" Not grounded in the literal truth? One that is merely an abstraction, a fantasy? humm...

As a Christian by upbringing and admittedly not by current practice, I am not sure that anyone can say that the Bible is grounded in "facts". If so, if you live by the "facts" I guess a person would be living by eye for an eye thinking and having a bunch of wives.

Perhaps if churches of all persuasions preached more tolerance and acceptance than intolerance and their way of thinking only, the world just might be a better place for all - including the OP who is seriously seeking something than the intolerant, judgmental kind of church.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielV:
    Since I was briefly involved (in one final attempt to find some personal usefulness for religion -- an utter failure), let me explain as best I can. There is a flavor of Christianity in the US (and maybe elsewhere) called "New Thought", that does not regard the bible as a text of historical fact, but more of a collection of stories that use metaphors, allegory, symbolism and what have you to align people on spiritual, moral and generally human issues. New Thought also welcomes, uses and shows parallels to other faith systems such as Islam, Buddhism, and Taoism.

I found it the most reasonable of the various Christian churches I have attended. Inclusiveness is eminently more effective than exclusiveness if your purpose is to convince people that your imaginary friend is benificent and loving.

Of course, in the bigger picture, it's hard to make the argument that any traditional church is grounded in facts and literal truth. "Faith" is often described by those organizations as believing in something despite lack of proof.
    Last edited by TS888; 08-09-2009 at 05:21 PM.