Like Tree110Likes

Which of these cities have the fastest pace of life? New York, London, Tokyo or Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

definitely the slowest walkers on the planet. We always called them turtles. I am a slow walker but an olympic race walker by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Hmm...are they slow because their "natural gait" is slow or is it because of the environment? (i.e. narrow streets can't meet the capacity of the foot traffic).
    My 4 year old daughter and I routinely pass people on the street. And not only do they walk slow, they somehow manage to block the entire walkway in doing so. Never once would someone think, I'm walking slow, so maybe I will go off to the side so others can pass....

I just think Hong Kong locals move slowly. Many don't seem in a big hurry. It's probably why they live so long....nothing phases them
    Last edited by closedcasket; 31-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    bibbju and kimwy66 like this.

Well it's the first time I ever heard people think HK folks walk in slow motion.
    Are you serious?? Wow!

The only people I've ever heard describe HK as fast are HK locals. Every Westerner I know (expat and visitors) finds HK frustratingly slow. Especially the slow shuffling walking pace. My 88 year old grandmother is faster in her zimmerframe (I'm being serious!). I do sometimes wonder how it's possibly to physically walk that slowly without falling over. HK is definitely the slowest place I've ever worked or lived. Comparing the pace of HK to London and New York is like comparing a Trabant with a Ferrari.

Before I moved to HK, various people told me that I'd really like HK because it's fast paced (I'd never been to HK before). Over 2 years later with no signs of speed, I have to assume that HK being fast is an urban legend started by unicorns and fairies.

The only time I've ever seen a HK local move fast is when food's being given away for free.
    kimwy66, nickvv, Kfay and 1 others like this.

I used to regularly stroll past students rushing to lectures. I agree the only people I have heard talking about HK being fast paced are locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    This topic comes up in these forums quite frequently, and the response is always that people in HK walk very slowly. I find it also incomprehensible that you haven't noticed...
    Yup and freaking annoying when they're walking three or hour abreast so you can't overtake

Hmm...are they slow because their "natural gait" is slow or is it because of the environment? (i.e. narrow streets can't meet the capacity of the foot traffic).
    They are slow because their bloody heads are buried in movie on their phones! You really have never noticed someone watching a movie, Whatsapping, etc. on a phone while walking?

I agree with all the above statements. The ridiculously slow pace of people on the street, who have a magical way of taking up a whole pavement or walking in squiggly lines when you're trying to walk around them, was one of the very first things we noticed when we arrived in HK from London. It's now one of the top things I think that will simply drive me mad enough one day to leave HK for good. There is simply a lack of engagement at all with people around each other on the streets. No eye contact, no concern.
    When I first arrived, I also found it incredibly baffling that HK people were telling me what a fast city it is!!!
    I don't know what adjective to describe it, but it does seem local HK people do live a bit of a tough life in that they live in small apartments with all of their family and often have to wake up very early to travel long distances to their work place. Some of the people I know, though, seem to live far away from work by choice.
    closedcasket likes this.

Well he is supposedly a long timer and frankly u dont need to live long here to know that hk peeps walk slowly and not straight.

As for pace of life I believe NYC top the list. After I never found London fast nor did I find tokyo or hk fast. It is just a lot of peeps in a small place ...so makes u feel that way i think but life ain t really fast in those cities (unless maybe u come from Canada ;-))

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

It could of course be that we all walk too fast and need to chill out.

I think some people here meant people clogging up the street.

There are a lot more old people here on the street than anywhere else. Probably because they all have to work/buy groceries everyday and there's only a few ways to get there.

When everyone have a specific destination to get to, namely, the transit between MTR (ie. HK station to Central), then you'll have to be deliberate with your walking speed to pass people.

Work area and grocery are often distinctly separated in larger cities, with most of the people travelling by car.

Last edited by Creative83; 31-12-2013 at 07:21 PM.

I don't find it very fast paced here. Its stressful in other ways, mainly due to overcrowding and the slow walkers getting underfoot at every turn.

I would say New York is the most fast paced, then London and then here...by a country mile.

closedcasket likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast