Like Tree110Likes

Which of these cities have the fastest pace of life? New York, London, Tokyo or Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Here is a small bit of history lesson for you; http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread71059.html
    An older thread that will teach you all kinds of bad mannerisms of HongKongers so you dont look like an ignorant FOB next time.
    I walk all over the place and enjoy the exercise in the city as well as the mountains. However, if I'm wearing work clothes, I will follow the speed of the locals - the slow pace helps keep me free of sweat.
    Sorry, I don't need a SOB to tell me about the bad manners of locals. I've commented that more than enough here.

Holding a different opinion is ignorant? Ah you are no different to the DeletedUser...

I find locals walk fast and I won't change that opinion just because other people think differently.

I will agree pedestrians here are inconsiderate and block walking passages, but slow? Not really. More like crowded.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-01-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Being called a "troll" by you of all people, I think you miss a sense of irony.... Oh wait, do you even know what "irony" means?

Original Post Deleted
    Dammit I forgot to bet! No surprise that dismissal wins.

My question is to everyone and WC in particular, how slow does WC walk if he thinks the locals are fast?!!!
    kimwy66 and tinlissie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Dammit I forgot to bet! No surprise that dismissal wins.

My question is to everyone and WC in particular, how slow does WC walk if he thinks the locals are fast?!!!
    Do you enjoy hopping on the bandwagon of others? And for a moment there I almost respected you for having your own individual opinion, 'guess I was wrong.

How fast do you walk? I don't know about you, but I just see locals more as inconsiderate in how they walk rather than their pace being the problem. To each his own.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-01-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Holding a different opinion is ignorant?
    When your opinion conflicts with reality, yup - thats perfect definion of ignorance.
    I find locals walk fast and I won't change that opinion just because other people think differently.
    Suit yourself but that wont change the reality that all (except you) seem to agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    When your opinion conflicts with reality, yup - thats perfect definion of ignorance.
    Suit yourself but that wont change the reality that all (except you) seem to agree on.
    Reality as defined by you? In that case, I'll be happy with ignorance.

Like I said, I don't buy the "tyranny of the majority" idea on geoexpat. I don't attack others for holding a minority view...

If others think local walk slow, I have no problem with that. I tolerate different views, so long as it make sense to me. Unlike a certain "DeletedUser"...
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-01-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Reality as defined by you? In that case, I'll be happy with ignorance.
    You are happier than pig in shit as we can see week after week.
    Like I said, I don't buy the "tyranny of the majority" idea on geoexpat. I don't attack others for holding a minority view...
    Thats so sweet. Do you want a prize?
    If others think local walk slow, I have no problem with that.
    This thread demonstrates that you are plainly and clearly lying.
    Exhibit 1 : http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/5...ml#post2682514
    Exhibit 2 : http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/5...ml#post2682538

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I think many people consider fast paced to be the same as hectic. Hong Kong is fast paced in the sense you are always fighting for a parking space, a place in line, a seat in a restaurant or even a spot in an elevator.
    I equate fast pace as being efficient, ease of getting my own things done on a daily basis. Chop chop.

Comparing HK to the 2 other cities I have lived in (London, Dubai) HK is the most efficient.

For example, Both times I had rented apartments in HK from the viewing to signing the agreement was done in a matter of hours, and I was in no rush.

I notice in Dubai time is wasted at the airport at Immigration for no reason. Even though I am working here now I still need to show my passport and mention to the officer where I am coming from. WTFF? Just let me go thru HK style swipe my Emirates ID and thumb print.

Overall HK has a more common sense approach taken by businesses.
    HowardCoombs and East_coast like this.

Do you enjoy hopping on the bandwagon of others? And for a moment there I almost respected you for having your own individual opinion, 'guess I was wrong.

How fast do you walk? I don't know about you, but I just see locals more as inconsiderate in how they walk rather than their pace being the problem. To each his own.
    Yes, sorry, it took me a whole hour to reply to your very first post. I'm an only child, we don't do bandwagons. I'm usually the one kicking its tyres yelling "this is sh*t".

HK locals could never jump on a bandwagon as they wouldn't be moving fast enough. It'd have to be a stationary bandwagon. Offering cookies. For a discount.

In the UK, I walk fast. Faster than most Londoners even as (i) I have zero patience and (ii) I like to maximise my time so I can fit more in (or get more sleep!)

In HK, my speed is limited by the shufflers. Last time I went back to London I realised how slow my walking speed had become after 28 months of shuffling exposure. Embarassing! Other UK friends living in HK have found the same problem when returning to London. It always takes me a few days to get my A game back.

What I always find shocking/disappointing about the HK shufflers is that even after I've done a huge leg session in the gym and can barely stand (anyone who trains with UP will know this is no exaggeration), as I come staggering out of the gym, I'm STILL faster than the shufflers!!! Even when I had the flu and was so weak I could barely get out of bed, when I struggled to my GP I was STILL faster than some (but not quite all!) shufflers. Goddammit what's wrong with these people???!!

I agree that lack of consideration by locals is also a problem. Or to use a good English word, they're gormless. This exacerbates the problem as gormless + crippingly slow = HK.

EDIT: My last comment is probably a bit harsh. A bit. Not everyone is gormless just as not everyone is crippingly slow in HK. But it does seem to be an art form for a lot of the locals.
    Last edited by bibbju; 01-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    kimwy66, Kfay and tinlissie like this.

Sheesh guys

Can't you just play nice

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast