Like Tree169Likes

A few days in HK so far and I hate it. Tell me I'm being ridiculous.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    200k a month does help a lot.
    Exactly, if you can't be happy making 200k a month in Hong Kong PM me and I will draw you the blueprint. Hong Kong is good at some things, and catering to the wealthy is certainly one of them.

You must be joking. The level of Chinglish sorry I mean English in HK is atrocious. But yeah there are less language problems here than say Tokyo....or Kabul or Turkmenistan.
    It literally pains me to defend Swannie, but I have to agree with him/her. As someone who travels extensively through Asia, Hong Kong is easy to adjust to for an expat. My friends and I jokingly refer to Hong Kong as "Asia light" because one can move to Hong Kong and keep their western lifestyle.
    chingleutsch likes this.

You must be joking. The level of Chinglish sorry I mean English in HK is atrocious. But yeah there are less language problems here than say Tokyo....or Kabul or Turkmenistan.
    You won't find too many cities that are not English speaking even in the western world where you can function much better than in HK. Apart from Scandinavia and Holland, the level of English in Europe is no better than here and often worse. In Asia, there's Singapore and arguably KL where the level of English is better or comparable. Meanwhile, if we were to rank the competency of expats to express themselves in the local language in HK vs those who live in other countries, I'd bet HK expat would be very close to the bottom.
    drumbrake and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    You won't find too many cities that are not English speaking even in the western world where you can function much better than in HK. Apart from Scandinavia and Holland, the level of English in Europe is no better than here and often worse. In Asia, there's Singapore and arguably KL where the level of English is better or comparable. Meanwhile, if we were to rank the competency of expats to express themselves in the local language in HK vs those who live in other countries, I'd bet HK expat would be very close to the bottom.
    Manila? Arguably India?

Me and my hubby are trying to find new things to do at the moment. Can anyone suggest anything (No rude remarks thank you:0)

We do go walking when the weather is cool, sometimes we even go fishing; but when it's hot and humid, that's not an option; and there is only so much shopping and eating a person can do.

Couldn't agree more. Even the supermarket check out ladies generally speak English. Try finding that in Calais which is only 22 miles away from England or try in Miami.
    Hong Kong ranks with Dubai and Singapore for top cities which are easy to settle into.

Quote Originally Posted by karen09:
    Me and my hubby are trying to find new things to do at the moment. Can anyone suggest anything (No rude remarks thank you:0)

We do go walking when the weather is cool, sometimes we even go fishing; but when it's hot and humid, that's not an option; and there is only so much shopping and eating a person can do.
    Helps if we know what your interests are.

Lots of activities to do.

Cooking classes
    Wine tasting
    Exploring and heading to one of the outlying islands
    Foodie tours

Etc etc

Get hk timeout magazine and HK magazine for details of what's going in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    Couldn't agree more. Even the supermarket check out ladies generally speak English. Try finding that in Calais which is only 22 miles away from England or try in Miami.
    Hong Kong ranks with Dubai and Singapore for top cities which are easy to settle into.
    Eh? Most of Calais speaks pretty good English ESPECIALLY the supermarket check-out ladies. Go to any Calais hypermarket on a Sat and you'll find more Brits than Frenchies!!!

Have we all forgotten that English is an official language in HK?
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Eh? Most of Calais speaks pretty good English ESPECIALLY the supermarket check-out ladies. Go to any Calais hypermarket on a Sat and you'll find more Brits than Frenchies!!!

Have we all forgotten that English is an official language in HK?
    So because it's an official language, you think the general population will/should speak it? There's absolutely no good reason for most locals to speak English so why should they? HK is now China, the majority are far better off learning mandarin than they are learning English.

French is an official language in Canada and I can tell you that that HKer speak far better English than most Canadian speak French.

French is an official language in Canada and I can tell you that that HKer speak far better English than most Canadian speak French.
    Ever lived in Quebec and outside of Montreal? Go to Quebec city where 97% speak French and a great many of them don't even speak English.
    bibbju likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast