Like Tree169Likes

A few days in HK so far and I hate it. Tell me I'm being ridiculous.

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    take a peek at www.meetup.com
    Lots of activities in there indoor and outdoor - active as well as sedentary.

Thank you :0) I shall have a peek at this now.

Karen

http://www.marthasherpa.com/

http://hk-magazine.com/events/articl...ooking-schools old article but the majority should still be open

Quote Originally Posted by karen09:
    We live in the N.T so the foodie part is always an adventure when there are no pictures to point at hahaha.
    3 ways to help:

1) Learn a few Chinese characters which will make a huge difference in understanding basics of the menu
    2) Download an app on your smartphone to help with ordering and/or translating
    3) Join a foodie group - there are at least 4 that I know on meetup.com and let others do the ordering for you.
    imparanoic and karen09 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by karen09:

I did look into the cooking classes at one point, but I thought they were very expensive :0( maybe that's me just being a Yorkshire Lass LOL.
    My husband is a Yorkshireman, and has the exact same reaction to most of Hong Kong. I think he lives by the old Yorkshireman's advice to his son line, which he has on an antique mug - "See all, hear all, say now't ... Eat all, sup all, pay now't ... And if ever tha does owt for now't, allus do it for thisen".

Although I also have the same reaction to HK prices and I'm from NZ. It's just commonsense really, most things aren't worth what they want to charge for them here.

I have gotten into cooking here, but I use books and the internet for my learning. The social aspect comes in sharing the skills learnt.
    karen09 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    - "See all, hear all, say now't ... Eat all, sup all, pay now't ... And if ever tha does owt for now't, allus do it for thisen".
    Is there an app to translate that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Certainly needs to be one.

Anything north of Gloucestershire I need a translator for!
    karen09 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:

You don't need to know that, it's a local saying for local people

"See all, hear all, say now't ... Eat all, sup all, pay now't ... And if ever tha does owt for now't, allus do it for thisen".

Basically means:

See all hear all, say nothing (the older 'true' Yorkshire people I have met typically give one word replies to any question, so hard to have a conversation!)

Eat all, sup all, pay now't: Eat all, drink all, pay nothing. common conversation in a local pub - 'Get yer hand in yer pocket son' (buy a round)

if ever tha does owt for now't, allus do it for thisen". If you ever do something for nothing, make sure you do it for yourself - charity begins at home I guess.

Anyway, Monty Python says it best about the dourness of the Yorkshireman
    Rob2020 and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Certainly needs to be one.

Anything north of Gloucestershire I need a translator for!
    I'm always happy to help. I'm bilingual....I speak Northern and Southern. ;-)

Kim, has your hubby seen the Yorkshire Airlines clip on YouTube? Can't post the link as I'm on a ferry right now but I think he'll appreciate it. It had my Northern father rolling around laughing over Christmas. [Jimbo - don't worry, it's beginner's level].
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I'm always happy to help. I'm bilingual....I speak Northern and Southern. ;-)

Kim, has your hubby seen the Yorkshire Airlines clip on YouTube? Can't post the link as I'm on a ferry right now but I think he'll appreciate it. It had my Northern father rolling around laughing over Christmas. [Jimbo - don't worry, it's beginner's level].
    Ah the hale and pace Yorkshire airlines sketch?
    Yup I understood it just

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie:
    Not too many people outside the anglocentric that show up in other people's country expecting local people to speak their language instead of learning the local one.
    You should visit Whitechapel/Brick Lane in London. English speakers are in the minority. There are plenty of people living there (for years) who don't speak a word of English. Hence the local paper is half English, half Bengali. The street signs are also in English and Bengali and every business has at least one Bengali speaker. Sounds a bit like English speakers in HK....except last time I checked, Bengali wasn't an official language of the UK.