Like Tree169Likes

A few days in HK so far and I hate it. Tell me I'm being ridiculous.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Seems to me you are just hanging out at and with the wrong people, as simple as this.

We have friends from all walk of life here (from the public housing estate tenant to the top exe banker living in south side with driver, 3 helpers etc etc) and they are all very good firends who share the same values as us:
    - love of the outside
    - dinner at each others place (we live in a modest 900 sqf flat bought a few years ago in the NT and our firends living in South Bay or Mid Levels have no issue whatsoever coming over to our "smallish" place)
    - trips in the neighbooring countries,
    - sport
    etc etc

Some of our firends do carry Hermes bags (but never mention it or show it off) and some carry salomon bags (ie for running). We all get along well.....but again OPEN mind....

-

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks:

How natural and/or immature is my "these people just suck" reaction?

This is my first impression thus far.
    There are plenty of people in HK who suck. I struggle with the materialism and pride in silly things too. You get over it. Never forget who you are; keep with your own principles. If people are silly, ignore them and move on. There are many people in HK who are kind, who help others, who care about sensible things and make good friends. It's just a matter of finding them and ignoring the rest. You cannot change them; don't even bother. Just be yourself. I have no problem being myself here: the people who don't like it (the ones who care about fashion, brands, fancy restaurants) are not the people I want to be with, so I find the ones I do! Simple as.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

I would guess politically minded people would know being self-racists doesn't serve them well.
    What on earth does "self-racist" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    What on earth does "self-racist" mean?
    I assumed s/he was referring to the way local Chinese look down on other Chinese.
    closedcasket likes this.

It's more often termed internalized racism in the US.

In HK, local HKs actions/ideas/perceptions related to whites being better and more deserving of priviledges.

Interesting view..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internalized_racism

There's definitely a fair bit of that going on.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    It's more often termed internalized racism in the US.

In HK, local HKs actions/ideas/perceptions related to whites being better and more deserving of priviledges.
    You're out of date on that, unless you've met some very weirdly subservient locals. These days it's more about looking down on others than looking up.

Ok. I haven't been here long, but I wonder how much looking down makes sense if they don't also look up, unless they believe themselves at the top.

Equally vile of course.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Someone has a serious attitude adjustment to make or it will be a miserable 3-5 years ahead.

Okay we ascertained she's here for the money, but did she really not have any insight into the place via her pre-move visits?

Mat and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Someone has a serious attitude adjustment to make or it will be a miserable 3-5 years ahead.

Okay we ascertained she's here for the money, but did she really not have any insight into the place via her pre-move visits?
    Holidays never tell you how you will feel about living somewhere. I feel for her - it's a long time to be unhappy.

To the OP - my suggestion is to find something you enjoy doing and focus on that. Find like-minded people who also enjoy it and make some friends. You don't need many, and friends are easy to make in HK, but a few decent friends will make all the difference to your life. Expat or local, doesn't matter, just find a few!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast