Like Tree42Likes

My first time ordering food over the phone in Cantonese

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Well done mate...It's nice to see an expat making the effort to learn the local language and better integrate into its living environment. Wish you weren't the exception but the rule...

Beardan, Thank you for the encouragement. It is really slow going especially because of the word order. I am a language teacher (English and French) and have studied other languages, but they are Latin and Greek-based. The first hurdle is basic comprehension. If I miraculously say something correctly and someone responds, the conversation is dead. It's not that I'm afraid of speaking but that someone will say something back and I will not understand a syllable. Which happens all the time. It's getting marginally better.

I know exactly what you are saying. Even when I asked for a coffee I would be worried about their reply. Sometimes they'd ask if i wanted a straw for my drink and i'd panic! Haha!! After a couple of years its not as bad. But even now i miss a bit and guess a bit. But the harder i work the closer i get to understanding Cantonese. It takes time and hard work though! Keep going. I'm sure it will be worth it in a few years time!

bctHK likes this.

Thank you, Beardan. I'm making a little speech tonight in Cantonese for my Tai Chi group's New Year's party. No comprehension necessary in terms of their responses. The last time I did this, two women were so happy, tears came to their eyes and they gave me big hugs. It takes a long time to understand the most rudimentary Cantonese, but the effort does pay off in good will in the meantime.

Tai Wai (Daai-Wai), Sha Tin (Saa-Tin), NT

^_^ Wow... so impressive. So now it could be understood that how desperate we (local guys with poor English) are as we are forced to learn English at school. "O dei dzan hai hou chaam ga".

Your English is far better than the cantonese that 99% of the expats here would claim to know.

My Tai Chi friends who speak English are always apologizing for their mistakes, and I tell them that they are communicating with me with no "wait time" in an additional language -- a HUGE accomplishment. If I could speak Cantonese half as well as they speak English, I would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy. My life would be more enjoyable and Hong Kong people would feel more comfortable around me.

Natfixit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4