Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

@ Trance Omega : Near the old airport. Now there is just a Kowloon Walled City Park.

That bus is one of the CMB buses that I remember so fondly. I can almost hear it rattling.

I remember that women used to carry their babies on their backs.

It was not unusual to see some old chap leaving a restaurant with a cigarette sticking out of one corner of his mouth and a toothpick out of the other, like fangs.

The drink with the highest status was cognac, not vintage wine. The per capita consumption in HK was the highest in the world. I don't know how common this was, but I read that cognac was known as 'twelve o'clock' and whisky as 'half past six' because of their supposed effects on potency.

I remember I was once so rich that I would fritter some of my money away on the Mark Six. At the time, there were 36 numbers and the stake was $2.

I once won a third prize, getting five numbers out of six. The odds against that must be 10,000-, perhaps even 20,000-1, but my prize paid about 1,100-1. The cashier measured out the money as if it were gold dust. I felt like a mug.

I remember Darkie toothpaste.

Last edited by R.O.; 19-04-2014 at 06:54 PM.

That's quite a recent change...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    That's quite a recent change...
    The name was changed 24 years ago!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

In an interesting thread titled 'Chinky Toothpaste', youngjediboy (Location: Oakland, California and Shatin, Hong Kong) wrote:

And yeah, I heard about the Darkie toothpaste turned Darlie. The Chinese name of course stayed the same because the Chinese name is literally "black man" hence not offensive. The black man gimmick actually works quite well... because it shows how WHITE your teeth can get, like it would look like on a darker skinned person. It's for illustration, not to discriminate. I told some black friends from back home about it and they thought the idea was neat also... just except for the horrible choice of the English name ... an offensive slur.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

A toothpaste advertisement.Name:  Obama, Oprah.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  8.2 KB

Ok...this is not nearly as good as the ol timers, I really haven't lived here very long....but anyway, I can remember when:

- you could actually get a seat on the east rail line, and it went all the way to TST station (which was nice)

-taxi's were only 14.50 flag fall

-you had a chance at renting something decent for under 10K

-INXS was Bryant English

-expats could buy a place at the same price as locals (no stamp tax)

-Players in Wan Chai was called the Bridge (great place to people watch)

-Sai Kung was actually a nice, quiet enclave to get away from the hustle and bustle

- the IFC 2 was the tallest building in HK

Last edited by closedcasket; 20-04-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    - you could actually get a seat on the east rail line, and it went all the way to TST station (which was nice)
    I think you mean TST east and it was never all that nice as they buggered up the transfers and you still had to leave and come back in...It was better than changing in Kowloon Tong but not by much....

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I think you mean TST east and it was never all that nice as they buggered up the transfers and you still had to leave and come back in...It was better than changing in Kowloon Tong but not by much....

yes, TST east station.

Not sure what you mean after that, the east rail line ending at TST (east) was better for those living along the east rail line. you could ride the train all the way into TST east station where you could then walk to other train lines (tst station) or even star ferry. You didn't need to get off and board the west rail line for one stinkin stop.

The old terminus really was convenient.

That would be from the days when town planning was done in the interests of the people rather than of the property developers.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast