Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Wow, some geezers on this thread (relax, I am saying that as an affectionate phrase). I wonder if its still correct to refer to you old folks as expats after living here all these decades?

Anyway, I don't remember this, but I do notice that HK today no longer have those elegant Chinese sailing junks that used to populate the harbour in old photos of HK. Prior to coming to HK, I always thought those junks were a symbol of HK, and to my surprise, I couldn't find any on HK's waters (well not unless you count modern recreations). Which is a shame, I always thought they were an identity of HK in a way:

Last edited by Watercooler; 07-07-2014 at 03:41 PM.

One thing I do remember was Kai Tak. I've only experienced that landing once but the landing view over Kowloon was unforgettable (in 1998, my first time visiting this city, still a kid back then, who knew I'll end up here a few years later).

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Probably already mentioned on this thread, but the ferries from Jordan Road to Central with vehicular and passenger decks. Used to really enjoy those rides.
    Yaumatei Travel is still using these ferries for tour of Fireworks package. I got on one last time, not only a great view watching fireworks but also the ferry itself brought back many good memories.
    R.O. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A_New_Life:

4. Yaohan Department stores .
    If really nostalgic, there is still one in Macau. Not the same I guess tho.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

A_New_Life wrote: Taking the ferry to Tai O (took 3 hours). The Lantau experience was MAGICAL compared to today, which is now only a train/bus ride away.

This is just a boast. I remember taking the ferry from Central to Tai O, calling at Chek Lap Kok. It was a green islet.

- - - - - - - -

At Kai Tak, when the plane landed and switched to the outside air supply: In the first moment, you might get a whiff of the warm stagnant water of the harbour. Then you were back.

- - - - - - - -

A_New_Life wrote: Non-air conditioned buses that had windows you can open.

Some ungolden memories:

Travelling from the north-west New Territories to Kowloon on the upper deck of a non-air conditioned bus, with hot dusty air rushing in through the side and even front windows.

Standing on a non-air conditioned bus all the way between Kowloon and the north-west NT.

Waiting in a long queue on the pier at Central for a hydrofoil to Tuen Mun. The pier was shared with the Discovery Bay ferry. DB residents (perhaps someone reading this) would stroll past and get straight onto their ferry. Tuen Mun residents would watch them stoically.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    Waiting in a long queue on the pier at Central for a hydrofoil to Tuen Mun. The pier was shared with the Discovery Bay ferry. DB residents (perhaps someone reading this) would stroll past and get straight onto their ferry. Tuen Mun residents would watch them stoically.
    Are you sure it was the DB ferry? I remember this but I recall it was the Gold Coast ferry...

taking this N0 53 bus from Perrowne Barracks (Gold Coast) to Yuen Long, sitting on the top deck and having a smoke at the back of the bus.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    taking this N0 53 bus from Perrowne Barracks (Gold Coast) to Yuen Long, sitting on the top deck and having a smoke at the back of the bus.
    You must be old...

Quote Originally Posted by mingming:
    Yaumatei Travel is still using these ferries for tour of Fireworks package. I got on one last time, not only a great view watching fireworks but also the ferry itself brought back many good memories.
    You mean this? The last car ferry crossing in 1998:

I've never been on it (since it was already long gone by the time I moved here), although if its a car ferry, I am assuming it is kind of like BC ferry from Vancouver to Victoria?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 08-07-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    I remember that HK people used to call minibuses vans - because they were originally vans, open vans or pickups. They came onto the roads in the lawless days of 1967, during the Cultural Revolution riots. Later, the government would have preferred to ban them, but could not, so started to regulate them. Even when they were proper minibuses and regulated, they kept their piratical character. They raised fares ruthlessly when they could, for example returning to Kowloon from the New Territories on a Sunday evening in summer. But the drivers were also victims, subject to triad extortion.

The whole world calls them minibuses, but the colonial government called them light buses.

And in a similar vein, the illegal taxis, the pak pais. My dad had a red car (and very dark hair) and one day, waiting at a red light a woman leapt into the back of the car and gave him an address in Cantonese. He turned around to look at her and I'm not sure who was more suprised! She quickly fled.
    R.O. likes this.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast