Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Speaking of boats or ships, I read that HK once had a thriving boat and shipbuilding industry. I definitely don't remember this of course, but it is nevertheless an interesting historical gem.

Yes, it is a little known fact, but Hong Kong once had a world-beating ship manufacturing industry. Most people associate Hong Kong in the past of only cheap and low-end light industrial products, but that is not true when it came to maritime stuff. Whompoa Dockyard (where Whompoa Garden is today at Hung Hom) and Taikoo Dockyard (at what is now Taikoo Shing of course) built many ships, including the Star Ferries. Here is a historical pre-WW2 photo of Taikoo Dockyard:

Even today, there are remnants of this once thriving industy at Tsing Yi, where Hong Kong United Dockyard is located, the successor company of both Whompoa and Taikoo, conduct ship maintenance, repair and salvage work.

And not just ships, but HK also built recreational sailing and motor yachts too. Grand Bank Yachts, a famous luxurious yacht builder, was founded in Hong Kong in the 1950's. Its no longer based here, but it did began here. Here is one example of their yachts:

Another is Cheoy Lee Shipyards. It builds all kind of boat and ships, and until 1998, still built vessels in Hong Kong. Their head office is still based here but their shipyard moved to Zhuhai. Here is an example of a luxury yacht they built:

Last edited by Watercooler; 09-07-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    R.O. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mingming:
    Yes, that's it. We onboard at the North Point Pier and went down to the lower level watching the fireworks. These ferries are still being used for special delivery of flammable/explosive gas/liquid. If interested, check out the coming Fireworks for the National Day in October.[/IMG]
    Yep they are still in use from Kwun Tong to North Point and only for Dangerous goods vehicles.

No passenger other than drivers and their assistants are allowed on the vehicles.

Fare Table Charge per Vehicle
    (i) Vehicle not exceeding 5.5 tonnes and 11 metres in length $560.00
    (ii) Vehicle exceeding 5.5 tonnes
    (a) but not exceeding 11 metres in length $830.00
    (b) exceeding 11 metres in length $1,050.00
    Journey Distance 3 km
    Journey Time 12 minutes
    http://www.hkf.com/en/dangerous_good...y_service.html

The North point Harbour cruise ships http://www.cruise.com.hk/en/regular_cruise.php?cid=1
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Yep they are still in use from Kwun Tong to North Point and only for Dangerous goods vehicles.

http://www.hkf.com/en/dangerous_good...y_service.html

The North point Harbour cruise ships http://www.cruise.com.hk/en/regular_cruise.php?cid=1
    I trust they are not carrying dangerous goods vehicle below while they conduct these harbour tours? Haha, yeah I know they are using different former car ferries for that...at least that is what I think is the case...I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I trust they are not carrying dangerous goods vehicle below while they conduct these harbour tours? Haha, yeah I know they are using different former car ferries for that...at least that is what I think is the case...I hope.
    Off course la

Dangerous Good Vehicle ferry

Harbour Tour Ferry, they have 3 boats

Watercooler likes this.

HowardCoombs - Post 169. Thank you. I was hoping someone would be able to tell us for sure.

Buses

The non-air conditioned buses seated passengers five abreast, a two-seat bench on the left, three-seat on the right. If there were already two people on the three-seater and you wanted to sit there, you would be given a place in the middle, but you were not welcome. If you were at the window seat and wanted to get off before the two other passengers, they would let you out, but you were not popular.

As far as I remember, the very first air conditioned buses still seated passengers five abreast, but there were five separate seats.

The first time I saw a KMB driver, in an air-con bus, wearing a white shirt, I couldn't believe my eyes. Before that, the 'uniform' was a dust-coloured T-shirt. In fact, I hadn't realised it was a uniform. I thought they were just wearing out old clothes.

Airport

I once saw a map showing which parts of HK were due to be returned to China in 1997, and which were British 'in perpetuity'. The latter were, as you would expect, HK Island, South Kowloon, and Stonecutter's Island - but also the airport runway, severed from North Kowloon. China had not had it in the first place, so logically it could not be returned.

I remember that on October 10th many buildings flew the Taiwanese flag.

And villages, and footbridges.

...when the train interior's overhead handle knobs were black.

via 50 years in Admiralty: from naval dockyard to Hong Kong's (occupied) political heart

I remember two unusual notices in the early days of the MTR.

There was only one kind of ticket, a single journey ticket, which was a (reusable) thin plastic card a little larger than a credit card. While travelling, with no smartphone to fiddle with, people got into the habit of flicking a corner of their cards, making a nice snap...snap...snap... The MTR issued a "no flicking" notice: a stylised picture of a card with one corner bent by a fingertip and soundwaves coming out, with a big X over it.

The MTR opened just before a Chinese New Year. Around that time, it is the custom, apparently more common then, to carry an entire roasted suckling pig on a platter to a temple as an offering to the gods and then, when they have had their fill, to carry it home for people to eat. The MTR did not want such a thing on the trains and issued a notice: a stylised picture of a suckling pig on a platter with a big X over it.

justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    I remember two unusual notices in the early days of the MTR.

There was only one kind of ticket, a single journey ticket, which was a (reusable) thin plastic card a little larger than a credit card. While travelling, with no smartphone to fiddle with, people got into the habit of flicking a corner of their cards, making a nice snap...snap...snap... The MTR issued a "no flicking" notice: a stylised picture of a card with one corner bent by a fingertip and soundwaves coming out, with a big X over it.

The MTR opened just before a Chinese New Year. Around that time, it is the custom, apparently more common then, to carry an entire roasted suckling pig on a platter to a temple as an offering to the gods and then, when they have had their fill, to carry it home for people to eat. The MTR did not want such a thing on the trains and issued a notice: a stylised picture of a suckling pig on a platter with a big X over it.
    Early MTR rules seems so bizarre

I seen early photographs /read newspaper of sheung wan mtr 'abandoned platform under Rumsey st' with posters saying ' east kowloon line extension coming soon' during the mid 80's

This exact line was never built ( eventually re-designed as the shatin-central line) and the platform laid bare for 20 years possible as an option of the island line western extension, until that decision that this extension line won't use this abandon platform, now, they re-fitted this level so you can't see platform

I believe MTR purposely build foundations and possible platforms for future extension, ie, I noted (I regularly catch the ferry) that they left a ' tunnel size' ditch structure from ifc for the possible future hk island north line along the reclaimed land along central and wan chai and I read articles that they have built foundations for a possible future station called 'kwu tung' on the lok ma chau spur line
    Rob2020 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast