Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

I remember when the MTR opened for the first time, and I've still got the ticket.

I remember when Shatin was regarded as in the sticks, far away from civilization.

I remember the old guy pushing his steaming Chinese soup dessert in the night in Mongkok opposite where my nan lived.

I remember the kindergarten I went to in tst, the uniform and logo. Shame it's not there anymore.

I remember going to Cheung Chau and staying in one of the most villas, the ferry ride took forever.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

R.O. likes this.

I remember USA & Co. Phone numbers before the '2' prefix and when you only needed '3' and '5' when you were calling across the harbor. I remember BFBS, two English TV channels that actually had stuff I wanted to watch on and when people would fly to HK to buy pirated software at Sham Shui Po, and when you'd get a hard disk preloaded with expensive (but pirated) software (and viruses) when you bought a new PC.

HK2A430 and Dreadnought like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I remember USA & Co. Phone numbers before the '2' prefix and when you only needed '3' and '5' when you were calling across the harbor. I remember BFBS, two English TV channels that actually had stuff I wanted to watch on and when people would fly to HK to buy pirated software at Sham Shui Po, and when you'd get a hard disk preloaded with expensive (but pirated) software (and viruses) when you bought a new PC.
    But do you remember Sinbad the Sailor? The cartoon they seemed to run 9 billion times a day?
    jayinhongkong likes this.

I remember the orange check-in desks at Kai Tak and the split-flap boards showing the flight status.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    ...Phone numbers before the '2' prefix and when you only needed '3' and '5' when you were calling across the harbor...
    3 to call across the harbour

My fixed line number is from the pre '5' prefix days, when it was still 6 digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    I remember the orange check-in desks at Kai Tak and the split-flap boards showing the flight status.
    I remember at curbside they had porters

I do remember Sinbad and always watched it if I was in front of the TV.

'5' to call HK Island from Kowloon, no?

I remember the iron curtain and being behind it - wishing the Berlin Wall would just disappear.

I remember before occupational health and safety became overthetop 'health n safety'.
    I remember bringing our beagle pup home for the first time when she was 6 weeks old.
    I remember the day Australia won the America's Cup. ( 27 sept 1983).
    I remember the first day I officially became an expat.

I remember fishing in Tuen Mun and suddenly seeing dump trucks dumping boulders into the sea and vola Gold Coast was being born, checking the map now seems our Army Barracks is Crossroads Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I remember fishing in Tuen Mun and suddenly seeing dump trucks dumping boulders into the sea and vola Gold Coast was being born, checking the map now seems our Army Barracks is Crossroads Foundation.
    We might have seen eachother then - at the time the GC reclamation was going on, I was working with another NGO heavily involved with the Vietnamese refugees, and lived in the old Colonial Office residence at the other end of Cafeteria Beach. The house is still there, but the front rose gardens, fish pond and tennis court have been chopped off and are now the hole in the ground that says it's turning into the Chu Hai (sic) College of something or another.

And Elle - I remember The Wall coming down - to try and help the younger kids at GSIS understand, we built a fake wall the full width of the primary school playground, with half the kids on each side. They had to break it down in order to reach their friends on the other side.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast