Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

HK 100 = RMB 110-120

Hilton and Lee Gardens Hotel.

Mitsukoshi, Matsuzakaya, Daimaru

usehername and Dreadnought like this.

Sigh ... yes, Cat Street was one of my favourite retreats for a quiet dinner or coffee.

And that reminds me of those little blackboards (sometimes with a little bell on) which waiters would carry around with the name of someone presumed to be in the premises to go and answer the phone in the days before mobile phones (and only doctors had pagers).

shri likes this.

Does anyone remember what happened to me last in Wan Chai last night?

Sent from my HTC One 801e using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    I remember the iron curtain and being behind it - wishing the Berlin Wall would just disappear.
    I remember watching on TV the Berlin Wall being knocked down. Then later that year, on Boxing Day, Nicolae and Elena Caucescu being executed. I still remember having just begun high school when the Challenger tragedy happened.

I remember when you carried a wee blackbook with your phone numbers in and tuppence for the phone booth.

I remember the first time I landed in Hong Kong - into Kai Tak airport - looking out of the window to see a woman ironing in her apartment on the same level as I was on the plane, only a few metres away! My first memory of Hong Kong.

imparanoic and Tripsplanner like this.

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    I remember the Star Ferry taking longer to get from Central to TST.
    And the crossing was smoother when the harbour was wider.

It took long enough to smoke a leisurely cigarette. Smoking was permitted in part of the upper deck. (I remember smoking.)

Of course the Star Ferry used to be very busy and was once prosecuted for over-loading. I remember this because the magistrate said something interesting. In court the company apologised, saying that they took safety very seriously and instructed the crew to carry slightly less than the permitted number. Instead of being pleased, the magistrate rebuked them. He said that this was against the public's interest and they should carry the full number permitted.

I remember another sensible magistrate. A taxi-driver was prosecuted for running a shared-taxi service from Causeway Bay to Central during the morning rush hour. This was before the MTR was built. The magistrate threw the case out.

My wife mentioned to me this weekend, after we had a couple burgers at Si Sun in Hung Hom, that she remembers when the water came right up to the little metal fence that now separates the sidewalk in front from the road.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast