Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

I remember being able to take a leisurely boat ride from Central to TaiO
    I remember taking a bone jarring rides on those horrible hovercrafts to Tuen Mun, Gold Coast and TST East.
    I remember the old slow ferries with lovely balconies where one could drink cheap beer and eat instant noodles with egg&hotdog- most of them have disappeared now.
    I remember Frog & Toad and mud olympics

I remember when Dear Giant would've OWNED this thread.

iliketurtles likes this.

I miss DG. I do hope he's in a better place (geographically and emotionally).

I remember hiring video tapes and laser discs from KPS video express.

And waiting for 4pm to come around so that Tube Time would start on ATV meaning 2 hours of cartoons.
    Enjoying programs such as Swizzle Street back in the mid-80s

usehername likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NW14:
    I remember hiring video tapes and laser discs from KPS video express.
    I remember back in the UK of hiring videotapes rated 18 when I was just 9 years old.... Probably explains how warped I am now!

Laser disks and vcds never really caught on in the UK, but I remember a mass influx of vcd players amongst the Chinese community as there were so many knock off disks.

I remember going into a computer centre to buy pirated software. One time the cops came, the shopkeeper pulled the shutters down, locked us in and told us to keep quiet. I nearly shat my pants!

Another time I ordered the disks, then had to go back in 2 hours where I was given a locker key to a locker in another building where I would pick up the disks......

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

I remember:

My dad taking the Jordan Road vehicular ferry to Central
    Travelling from Ting Kau (past Tsuen Wan) to Central by ferry before the MTR was built
    15cent Star Ferry fares
    Tickets being sold on the buses by the ticket-seller seated just inside the entrance
    The tissue-paper type tickets
    The Peak Tram conductor walking up and down the tram on the steepest section
    Ruby Restaurant in Man Yee Building
    Taxis with $1.50 flagfall
    Pak Pais
    The odd body floating all the way to the harbour during the Cultural Revolution
    The slow boat to Macau
    Green cylindrical rat pots (where you put your dead rats) bolted onto lampposts
    ParknShop at the lower Peak Tram terminus
    Charn Kee Store on Robinson Road
    Asia Store in North Point
    FCC on Conduit Road
    Lai Chi Kok amusement park (ugh!)
    Showboat Hotel anchored off North Point (actually a brothel, my dad didn't realise that and booked us in the one weekend!)
    The old Peak Tower
    Getting the train to Shatin (nothing but green in those days) from TST station with the old clock tower
    The cross-harbour tunnel opening
    When fireworks were still legal
    Walking past a bomb sitting on the steps of the old French Consulate (now Mother's Choice)
    Traffic pagodas
    Whiteaways Department Store
    Flavour of the month ice cream posters on the corner of the old Dairy Farm building (now the Fringe Club) - you can still see the white 'frame' where the posters were once placed, now advertising arts + people / Fringe Club.

Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 20-01-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo!

Fiona wins the thread.

INXS likes this.

I remember when it was easy to remember where I put my glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Fiona wins the thread.
    Oooops I did go on a bit there Just couldn't stop once I started!

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:

I remember seeing a passenger cutting his toe-nails on a tram in Western District, in about 1980. I remember seeing another man (I suppose it was another man) cutting his toe-nails on a hydrofoil from Tuen Mun to Central, in about 1995.
    I remember seeing that too, ~2001, in a McDonalds, with his foot resting on the table top while he did it.

Cured me from eating junk food for a long time.
    R.O. likes this.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast