I remember

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

I remember the followings clubs/bars from the 80's:

Thingamese (LKF)
    Graffiti (LKF)
    Pussy Cat Club (Wanchai) might still be there
    Go Down (Admiralty)
    Bit point (LKF) still there

What did they do with the dead rats in the green rat pots? Dumplings?

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    What did they do with the dead rats in the green rat pots? Dumplings?
    Lord I hope not, I've always consumed dumplings here!!! I think it was just an easy collection method....pretty gross though.

http://gwulo.com/node/8821

Some interesting information and even a picture, about the rat bins!
    usehername likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:

I remember seeing a passenger cutting his toe-nails on a tram in Western District, in about 1980. I remember seeing another man (I suppose it was another man) cutting his toe-nails on a hydrofoil from Tuen Mun to Central, in about 1995.
    Not so long ago, I was on a green minibus and had the dubious pleasure of watching the driver doing this at the traffic lights...the more things change, the more they stay the same...
    R.O. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nassaugirl:
    Not so long ago, I was on a green minibus and had the dubious pleasure of watching the driver doing this at the traffic lights...the more things change, the more they stay the same...
    ...I've seen a dude do it on the DB ferry in the morning
    R.O. and Stu79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    http://gwulo.com/node/8821

Some interesting information and even a picture, about the rat bins!
    Wow I had no idea.

Maybe they'll introduce dead bird bins if we get another bad bout of bird flu.

'Pig bins' might be a bit impractical though.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

I remember the motor noise of the milk truck and the clinking of the glass bottles being left by our front door of an ungodly hour each morning.
    Also, when I was a kid, my mum took my younger sis and I up to Mackay, on the QLd coast to visit my mum's youngest brother and his wife. On Ansett plane, when the pilot introduced himself and co pilot on the CB, mum shrieked, " that's your dad's cousin!!!" So after takeoff, we got to ride in the cockpit the entire way. Now, I don't think they do that anymore for safety reasons. Anyway, my dad's cousin recognized us anyway, so no issue. Still a thrill, though for us to fly all the way up north. The memory only came to mind when recently, mr Natfixit and I were travelling by Shinkansen down to Nagano and we sat right at the front, had a drivers view of the entire journey.

Last edited by Natfixit; 20-01-2014 at 08:42 PM.

This is an authentic memory, though it seems strange that it's my memory.

I remember milk being delivered by horse and cart, in London in the mid 50s. The horse knew which houses to stop at.

Last edited by R.O.; 20-01-2014 at 11:37 PM.

I remember Kentucky Fried chicken opened in HK, the first American fast food restaurant - and then closed down.

Actually, this was before my time, but people were still talking about it. They said: We Chinese have many ways of cooking chicken, but Kentucky have only one.

Another reason why they didn't succeed, I was told, was that they opened in Kowloon. When McDonalds came, in about 1976, their first branch was in Causeway Bay.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast