Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    This is an authentic memory, though it seems strange that it's my memory.

I remember milk being delivered by horse and cart, in London in the mid 50s. The horse knew which houses to stop at.
    My grandfather used to make ice cream and sell it from his horse and cart. As a child, my mother used to be sent around the village to beg people for scraps of food to feed the horse. Sadly my grandfather died before I was born so I never got to try the ice cream (which was apparently well known in the local area).

I do remember as kids taking rides on the electric milk cart as it went up and down our road. We used to help collect milk bottles so the milkman would let us ride up and down with him. Happy days!
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

I don't remember much of the seventies so I must have had a great time

iliketurtles likes this.

Pig Swill

This is another memory that seems to belong to someone else. I had some relations who in the mid 50s were living in a nice suburban area of semi-detached houses at the edge of south London. At intervals along their street there were bins marked PIG SWILL in which I suppose some people put their potato peelings and apple cores.

Pigs, Alive and Dead

I remember walking in the passageways under Hung Hom Station at night. At the time the development of the eastern New Territories, including Shatin, had hardly begun, and by late evening they were deserted. Someone I knew called them the catacombs. She had encountered a flasher there.

Trainloads of live pigs would come in and stand at the station overnight. Walking along the passage above the railway lines, I would hear the pigs squealing.

I remember seeing an entire pig's carcase laid out on boards on the pavement, opened up, and butchered in the street. This was in Yau Ma Tei in the late 70s. I wanted to stay and watch but I could tell they didn't want me to. Although they could hardly hide what they were doing, their manner was furtive and I think they were probably breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    I remember walking in the passageways under Hung Hom Station at night. At the time the development of the eastern New Territories, including Shatin, had hardly begun, and by late evening they were deserted. Someone I knew called them the catacombs. She had encountered a flasher there.

Trainloads of live pigs would come in and stand at the station overnight. Walking along the passage above the railway lines, I would hear the pigs squealing.

I remember seeing an entire pig's carcase laid out on boards on the pavement, opened up, and butchered in the street. This was in Yau Ma Tei in the late 70s. I wanted to stay and watch but I could tell they didn't want me to. Although they could hardly hide what they were doing, their manner was furtive and I think they were probably breaking the law.
    there used to carry livestock ( not mainlanders) once or twice a day during kcrc east rail opening hours, u can tell as stinks the stations along the way, haven't seen it since 90's

How many pages the dollar saver used to have.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    How many pages the dollar saver used to have.
    How big the trading post used to be...

How narrow the beach area was at Repulse Bay compared with today. And the little beach 'huts' you could rent.

Had to google to find a picture to show you

Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 22-01-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: wrong link :)
    bak875 and Natfixit like this.

I wonder why it was called, 'Repulse Bay' in he first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    I wonder why it was called, 'Repulse Bay' in he first place.
    Used to be used by pirates and they were 'repulsed' by the navy.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast