Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

I remember

Can we try an 'I remember' thread? It's probably been done before, but not recently.

I remember that every cinema used to show films at the same times - 12.30, 2.30, 5.30, 7.30, and 9.30 - and foreign films were cut, sometimes drastically, to fit this schedule.

I remember seeing a passenger cutting his toe-nails on a tram in Western District, in about 1980. I remember seeing another man (I suppose it was another man) cutting his toe-nails on a hydrofoil from Tuen Mun to Central, in about 1995.

SamSeborn likes this.

I remember when a taxi was $5 and you could see pig carcasses floating past as you on the ferry to cheung chau.

I remember when the jumbo restaurant was a fantastically gaudy red and gold monstrosity with ear shredding Cantonese opera sang at you throughout your meal.

I remember when it was normal to spit on the street.

SamSeborn likes this.

I remember the stench of the Kai Tak nullah coming right into the plane as we landed.
    I remember needing to walk across the "Bridge of Weeping" to get into Red China (and the paddy fields, ploughed by oxen, coming right up to the damp coursing of the dinky little, 2 platform Shenzhen railway station. Oh, and antimacassars in first class on the KCR.
    I remember my horror at seeing the floating villages of thousands living on 15' sampans in the typhoon shelters - and my amazement at watching the immaculately clean and white uniformed children trooping from their boats onto dry land at the beginning of the school day.
    I'd better stop there; this old fogey could go on for hours ...

R.O., z754103, shri and 1 others like this.

I remember Victory MK2s, when the buses were blue. I remember eating cream of shark's fin soup at Maxim's in Ocean Terminal on Christmas Day and Madonna's Material Girl was playing. I remember the Star Ferry taking longer to get from Central to TST.

I remember when the only phone in the house was in the hall...when you picked it up, you had to first check whether your neighbour was using the line before you dialled...

anothercanuck likes this.

I recall mtr hired pushers to push people on to mtr trains during rush during the 90's,

I remember when the green line stopped at quarry bay.

I remember when new tunnel to the airport meant east tunnel

Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I remember when the green line stopped at quarry bay.
    I remember when the green line stopped at Kwun Tong.
    I remember when it was just green and red.
    I remember when the blue line opened and Tai Koo was the deepest station I'd ever been in.

I remember China Jump, The Big Apple and Casa Mexicana

shri likes this.

With regard to restaurants, I remember

Cinta - Indonesian, Cleveland - Chinese and the airport restaurant at Kai tak where customers had a view of the planes parked in front of us and partial view of the runway.

Last edited by bak875; 18-01-2014 at 09:16 PM.
    HK2A430 likes this.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast