Like Tree6Likes

Renting a mortgaged property

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

So do I - that's why I say "most", not "all".

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    So do I - that's why I say "most", not "all".
    78% of people have insurance => 78% people are dumb.

Sounds like "all" to me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app

It's a rental property! You put the cheapest fittings in that won't cause the tenant to move out. I always had a good agent do it. Replacement beds or sofas cost about 50 quid at most.

And really what on earth does the proportion of people who have fallen for the insurance scam prove, except, perhaps that 78% of people are dumb? (Frankly I'm surprised the figure is that low)
    Remind me not to rent from you!

It's a rental property! You put the cheapest fittings in that won't cause the tenant to move out. I always had a good agent do it. Replacement beds or sofas cost about 50 quid at most.
    Grunt-are you a slum landlord? It sure sounds like it!

50 quid for a sofa or bed? In Brit vernacular, " You havin a laugh" or am I being taken for a ride and you meant 500 quid?

Even Ikea doesn't sell that cheap and their stuff is total crap on average.

In my rental I put in stuff that I would like to live with myself, and it isn't always cheap. The upside is that I have had the same excellent tenant for 11 years now without a single problem. He wants something done , I generally do it. Another upside is no agents fees for the last ten years.Skype and a good network of builders/handymen negates that expense, and that has also saved a small fortune.
    kimwy66 and bibbju like this.

I think there's a bit of talking at cross purposes here.

Not having contents insurance for a rental property is pretty common.

Buildings insurance is the important one - and having it is a usual condition of a mortgage!

Be grateful you aren't insuring in France. It is compulsory there for buildings, and our mortgage company insisted on some contents, as the definition of what is building and what is contents is a lot harsher in France. Just renewed our policy for the next year at €1700.

We don't use contents insurance on UK property though. Did once and when we needed to claim it proved to a nightmare. We insist on our tenants having contents insurance though.

The only time I've never had contents insurance coincided with the only time that I've lived somewhere that was broken into. I didn't have the money to insure my stuff (I'd just graduated and started my first "proper" job). They just took my valuables (camera, Raybans, hifi, etc) but it took me a long time before I could afford to replace them. The flat was completely trashed and when I reported it to the police they told me not to disturb anything as they'd come round and dust for fingerprints. So I spent the night alone sitting on the floor in the hall as that was the only space that wasn't trashed. Both my (male) flatmates stayed out all night and the police never came round for bloody fingerprinting. Grrr! On the positive side, when I lost my keys the burglary had shown me the weakest security point so I knew which window to smash to get in. Wish I'd known how expensive it was to replace beveled glass though! A lesson learnt the hard way. Only smash cheap windows!