When to say 'mgoi' and when to say 'doh je'

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

When to say 'mgoi' and when to say 'doh je'

Ok, obviously I don't know how to spell the pin yin, but you know what I mean. I understand that MGOI is for excuse me, sorry, and thank you for something you have done rather than a gift, eg 'thank you for holding the door for me' etc.

However, DOH JE means thank you for a gift, is that right? But then when I said happy new year to someone in Chinese once, they replied with doh je, and what do you say when the taxi driver or checkout chick gives you change, is that mgoi or doh je?

And another local question, completely unrelated. When someone dies they always have this 'funeral portrait' on their grave or at the funeral. So does every Chinese person past a certain age start to think, 'hm better get my funeral photo taken, odds are I might die soon'. Or are these passport photos that the relatives dig out for the funeral and get blown up in black and white?

m goi for services

doh je for gifts etc.

You pretty much have it down.

Happy New year prompted Doh je because you offered no service and it was just a pleasantry.

At supermarkets, stores, taxi, say m goi. The shop keeper/waiter/driver will usually say doh je to you because you're giving them money. (a gift)

just to add, compliments count as money - never say mgoi if someone says something nice to you.
    you can add saai - mgoisaai / dojehsaai is the equivalent to thank you very much. m, jeh falling/low tone, do, goi & sai high tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jally:
    And another local question, completely unrelated. When someone dies they always have this 'funeral portrait' on their grave or at the funeral. So does every Chinese person past a certain age start to think, 'hm better get my funeral photo taken, odds are I might die soon'. Or are these passport photos that the relatives dig out for the funeral and get blown up in black and white?
    So elderly do have their funeral photo taken beforehand (like my granny) but most of us really can't be bothered. Those who die young, their families will just use any photo that looks good enough. BTW, the funeral photo is called "ce teo seng". Literally translated as "car front photo" or photo that is put at the front of the vehical that carries the coffin.

xxxlionxxx : did not know that about what and why the photos are called ce teo seng. Makes a lot of sense...

Didn't know that either. Interesting stuff! BTW, when you are paying for something, you say "mm goi" and the recipient of the cash usually says "daw jer." When someone gives you something to keep, you say "daw jer," but if it is something they are lending you, you say "mm goi."

Thanks lion, that clears that up! And thanks for the other replies too. I guess I have been using them pretty much correctly. Hm, now I'm trying to think of all the other mysteries I've been wondering about so I can get some more answers.

mm goi can also be used if someone in front of you is blocking your way, like "Excuse Me" or if you want to get service u can shout to the waiter M GOI.

I usually shout it out when the slow people are blocking the way, MGOI!!!!!!!!! they usually just move out the way.

A simple rule of thumb to decide which to use:
    'doh je' when receiving a gift (or similar, like a compliment, business, etc.) or money (other than change because it technically belongs to you already), 'mgoi' in most other situations.

You may just find yourself in an awkward position and don't know which term should be used to express your gratitude. Don't be alarmed, coz native speakers like me sometimes get confused too, even I've been speaking the language for the last 29 years..........

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast