Like Tree16Likes

Happy Chinese New Year folks!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Happy new horse everyone!

I am supposed to be at the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel In Wan Chai at around 7:30 with the little one, now that will be a lot of fun!?

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Thanks, need to avoid it and figure out what time I can make it back to my flat tonight.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Before 7 pm, I would say, speaking from past experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Fireworks last night and night before in our village, and now a parade with lots of banging and firecrackers going past our front door.
    There's been 2 lots of drum banging (and I assume there's a dragon trying to dance too) in DB today. The second is going on right now and it's spoiling what was my nice afternoon chilling in the sun with the balcony doors open. I suppose hanging off my balcony screaming "STFU" wouldn't be very nice of me....and at least the banging drowns the screaming kids out.

Btw, yes the fireworks start at 8pm. Harbour is closed from about 7.30-9pm-ish.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    There's been 2 lots of drum banging (and I assume there's a dragon trying to dance too) in DB today. The second is going on right now and it's spoiling what was my nice afternoon chilling in the sun with the balcony doors open. I suppose hanging off my balcony screaming "STFU" wouldn't be very nice of me....and at least the banging drowns the screaming kids out.

Btw, yes the fireworks start at 8pm. Harbour is closed from about 7.30-9pm-ish.
    Well you know what they say, if you don't like it, you know where the airport is .

Just to give you some perspective, HK's CNY does not hold a candle to what happens on the mainland. Non-stop fireworks throughout the night. I'm talking about home-made/bought fireworks going off right outside your door on the streets. BOOM and more BOOMs going off throughout the night. So HK really is quite tame in comparison.

P.S-HK locals are Chinese, so good luck trying to criticize their customs. It would be like some expat in Israel slamming Jewish holidays like the Hanukkah, it really won't make an iota of difference...
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-02-2014 at 05:24 PM.

I visited Taipei about 10 years ago (my ex lived there) and one evening I switched on the local news. It was reporting the CNY shenanigans in Taichung, basically it was normal for people in the streets to have running firework fights......they'd literally shoot rockets at each other. Everyone in the report were wearing motorcycle helmets, and at one point there was so many fireworks going off, the camera flared up and you couldn't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Well you know what they say, if you don't like it, you know where the airport is .

Just to give you some perspective, HK's CNY does not hold a candle to what happens on the mainland. Non-stop fireworks throughout the night. I'm talking about home-made/bought fireworks going off right outside your door on the streets. BOOM and more BOOMs going off throughout the night. So HK really is quite tame in comparison.

P.S-HK locals are Chinese, so good luck trying to criticize their customs. It would be like some expat in Israel slamming Jewish holidays like the Hanukkah, it really won't make an iota of difference...
    Ha ha I don't have a problem with CNY, just a problem people drumming while I'm trying to have a snooze in the sun.

I've found the CNY celebration VERY tame in HK, this year especially. I don't know if it's partly because I now live in DB (so obviously less Chinese than where I lived previously) but Christmas almost seemed to be a bigger deal. And what's with the decorations being up for Valentine's Day???! (IFC and DB at least) Are they just skipping CNY?! Weird and quite disappointing.
    Watercooler likes this.

firework is illegal in HK

Went to the peak for fireworks yesterday. Man it was like hell..

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by richteralan:
    Went to the peak for fireworks yesterday. Man it was like hell..
    You chose to visit the #1 tourist attraction in town on a holiday night which also happens to be fireworks night : were you expecting peace and tranquility ?

We were up in the hills, where it was actually peaceful and were able to see the entire show in some lovely surroundings. Next year, consider taking a night hike - there are many spots around town to watch from, both sides of the harbour.
    emx likes this.

I raced over to where my missus works, we went to the roof top of her buildings and saw...... nothing. There was a huge block of flats in the way, didn't see one sparkle...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app