Like Tree108Likes

Shame of being HK people.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13

NO NO NO NO NO

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    How do you define pace of life? That's all in the eye of the beholder is that not? Pretty pointless to say one city has a faster or slower pace of life when it depends on the subjective perception of the individual..
    I know that and I think you missed the point. First, please note the little emoticon at the bottom of my post, that should give you some clue as to how committed I am to making a serious statement with that post...Second, and this is really the bit you missed my friend...I grant you that a fella's views on pace of life are subjective. My point is that many HKers have this view that their city is fast paced based on having only lived and worked here...

Let me give you an example:

1.) Trevor owns a Sheltie...it is the only dog he has ever owned or known...Trevor's Sheltie obeys simple commands like sit, fetch and stay. Trevor holds the belief that Shelties are very intelligent and obedient.

2.) Mr. Tompkins has owned several dogs including a Sheltie, a Daschund, an Afghan Hound and smallish brown dog of unknown heritage that came as part of the package with his first wife...Further, Mr. Tompkins has, in his close circle, friends who also have dogs...the consensus among the group is that, well, let's put it this way, Shelties are fine, but let's not kid ourselves...

3.) So whose opinion is worth more? Trevor or Mr. Tompkins? I ask you...

4.) What the hell am I on about?
    Watercooler and Titus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I know that and I think you missed the point. First, please note the little emoticon at the bottom of my post, that should give you some clue as to how committed I am to making a serious statement with that post...Second, and this is really the bit you missed my friend...I grant you that a fella's views on pace of life are subjective. My point is that many HKers have this view that their city is fast paced based on having only lived and worked here...

Let me give you an example:

1.) Trevor owns a Sheltie...it is the only dog he has ever owned or known...Trevor's Sheltie obeys simple commands like sit, fetch and stay. Trevor holds the belief that Shelties are very intelligent and obedient.

2.) Mr. Tompkins has owned several dogs including a Sheltie, a Daschund, an Afghan Hound and smallish brown dog of unknown heritage that came as part of the package with his first wife...Further, Mr. Tompkins has, in his close circle, friends who also have dogs...the consensus among the group is that, well, let's put it this way, Shelties are fine, but let's not kid ourselves...

3.) So whose opinion is worth more? Trevor or Mr. Tompkins? I ask you...

4.) What the hell am I on about?

That last point you made is pretty good. What is this thread about anyway? The last few pages its going all over the the place.

Now I finally understand why HK people push their dogs around in the carts.
    There are rules :-)

INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    @HC,

"More than a few"? Total adoptions of kids from the Kuk (one of the richest charities around, by the way), are less than 20 per year if I read their annual report correctly.
    Grunt, mind sharing where you got that figure from? Do you mean (1) 20 children from the PLK orphanage are adopted annually, or (2) 20 children through the social services of PLK are adopted annually?

I would possibly believe (1), but not (2), but it doesn't seem that you're aware of the distinction of (1) and (2). Children in PLK orphanages are not only adopted through PLK. Any child in any orphanage is able to be placed with any adoption social services.

Beyond 2/3 years old, it is almost impossible for a child in Hong Kong to be placed for adoption. A 16 year old? I would think that the adoption of a 16 year old from PLK or any other orphanage has not been secured in many years.

As for why the figure might be low for PLK: newborns and toddlers tend to go to Mother's Choice: older children go to PLK.

I'm not entirely sure the relevance of your statement about PLK being "one of the richest charities around, by the way": what are you implying?

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13