Like Tree5Likes

Privacy Ordinance

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Privacy Ordinance

My understanding was that we could now stop people sending us emails (keeping our names on their databases basically) by letting them know. So I have a few people (HK companies) who continually send me "junk" email and I have asked them to stop. They are real companies, not online spammers. They have not stopped.

What's the next step? I tried filling in an online complaint form (months ago) but absolutely nothing happened. Any ideas?

I wouldn't mind except they also send HUGE attachments which are a right pain when travelling and on limited speed/data connections!

yeh that sux - i bought a POS device from Beecrazy an now have super daily spam from them

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

See whether your ISP can help?

Any half-decent email client should allow you to control downloading of attachments, and you might also be able to get your ISP to put something on at the server(albeit probably with a cost).

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 14-03-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Can't you just label it as spam so all future emails from that address will be sent straight to your junk email folder?

Grunt, you are clearly not aware of the direct marketing ordinance then.

Katherine, assuming you haven't agreed to be the subject of direct marketing, make a complaint to the pcpd. I'm on the mobile so can't spell it out more fully at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Grunt, you are clearly not aware of the direct marketing ordinance then.

Katherine, assuming you haven't agreed to be the subject of direct marketing, make a complaint to the pcpd. I'm on the mobile so can't spell it out more fully at the moment.
    Thanks. I think that's the place I already complained to - a few months ago.

I decided to ring them up and complain in person in the end - let's see if that has any impact. I'm certainly not going to change my entire email regime just for a couple of dickheads, particularly since they should be manageable in other ways!

The place you're supposed to report it is OFCA (not the PDPC). The online process to do so starts here: http://www.ofca.gov.hk/en/consumer_f...orm/index.html

I've done it once before and I think it took about 2-3 months before I got a response from OFCA.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 14-03-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    HK_Katherine and shri like this.

Whilst the UEMA could be relevant, the more likely law it will fall under is the Direct Marketing laws (either it's own law or the personal data privacy ordinance - I can't recall), and as such, the PDPC is the relevant body to complain to. I don't think it'll do any harm to complain to OFCA as well though. I had a client investigated by the PDPC for having failed to obtain express consent of a repeat customer to direct market (ie send them emails about products) to them. Katherine if this is what happened to you, I would suggest following up with the PDPC again.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast