Like Tree13Likes

ching ming festival.. is a day off for helpers?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    yeh self employed here so I have no idea about public holidays until she announced. all my other employee are freelancers so they dont mention holidays either...g

---> thought there were 2 types of public holiday?? dont object to her having days off when entitled but I dont wish to reward her with things she isnt specifically entitled too..
    what about your wife, doesn't she work?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    How long has she been working for you? If less than 3 months, you don't have to pay her for tomorrow.

Yippie, you can save yourself a $150 bucks

True point, but with the deck stacked so heavily against helpers why even point that out?

While we're at it, we might as well point out that the helper only gets 24 hrs off and not a minute more. Probably can demand they return to their cage at midnight on Sunday :/
    Last edited by closedcasket; 05-04-2014 at 10:03 AM.

no body works sat here otherwise we might havek own.. its ok _ i got a pen an marking it on a calander..

yeh we had issues - an she's becomin even sloppier - back in the 20th century when I had a job in a chinese company I rememebr being dismayed to be told only some 'public' holidays were for some people...

actually I will point out she asked us b4 these troubles began - if she could have a budhist holiday off which fell on her birthday - we immediately said yes - and added that ofcourse we wouldn't be docking her wages for it,,,

had this stupid idea it would help give us a good relationship....

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    actually I will point out she asked us b4 these troubles began - if she could have a budhist holiday off which fell on her birthday - we immediately said yes - and added that ofcourse we wouldn't be docking her wages for it,,,
    She wanted the day off because she's a Buddhist or because it was her birthday??

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    She wanted the day off because she's a Buddhist or because it was her birthday??
    If both would you give her 2 days off?

Domestic helpers don't have to work on Ching Ming!? This is a grave day for sweeping.

tinlissie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarist:
    Domestic helpers don't have to work on Ching Ming!? This is a grave day for sweeping.
    Thanks for stating the facts again.
    guitarist likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    Thanks for stating the facts again.
    Even worse than that; it was a failed pun. See, among the duties of domestic helpers would be the task of sweeping, and so, if these helpers were to take the day off, what would become of the sweeping? It would be a grave (in the sense of formidible or a highly serious nature) day for this particular task. Now, the pun bit is that Ching Ming is often referred to as "Grave Sweeping Day" and what I thought I would do is invert those three words to suggest something else. That is what a pun is essentially but if no one notices it, what's the point? [rhetorical question] If one has to go around spelling things out, it's best to find another hobby. Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you on this. I have been busy reminding myself not to post after 2am (working on my material, &c).
    bookblogger and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarist:
    Even worse than that; it was a failed pun.
    Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you on this. I have been busy reminding myself not to post after 2am (working on my material, &c).
    Working the graveyard shift, guitarist?
    drumbrake, tinlissie and guitarist like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Yippie, you can save yourself a $150 bucks

True point, but with the deck stacked so heavily against helpers why even point that out?

While we're at it, we might as well point out that the helper only gets 24 hrs off and not a minute more. Probably can demand they return to their cage at midnight on Sunday :/
    And that is when they give them 24 Hours! Most of them leave the house around 8-9 (still have to cook breakfast) and back at 8pm (Dinner!). One of the reason all restaurants are packed on Sunday around lunch, people "have" to fend for themselves.