Like Tree2Likes

Government website for water contents?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Government website for water contents?

Does anyone know of any HK government website with details of the contents of out tap water?

Looking into starting up a marine tank, and want to know if using tap water here in Hong Kong is a viable option.

Things I need to look out for are:

- chlorine
    - nitrate
    - any traces of ammonia or nitrite
    - any (and amount) traces of heavy metals

This would dictate, if I go down the marine route, how much volume of water I can play with.

Thank you

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

I run a 250L salt water aquarium and use tap water which I de-chlorinate and mix salt in, works fine, even the aquarium shop in Hang Hau does the same. experts will tell you to buy a RO/DI system but that costs around $2000. I'm cheap and didnt want to spend money on that

Picture of my tank

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I run a 250L salt water aquarium and use tap water which I de-chlorinate and mix salt in, works fine, even the aquarium shop in Hang Hau does the same. experts will tell you to buy a RO/DI system but that costs around $2000. I'm cheap and didnt want to spend money on that

Picture of my tank
    Wow!, beautiful setup. Love the anemones.

Picture of my tank
    Nice! I only have a turtle...

Picture of my tank
    I have a tropical freshwater tank, but thought salt water setup was too difficult. Much trouble to convert and maintain?

Quote Originally Posted by croash:
    I have a tropical freshwater tank, but thought salt water setup was too difficult. Much trouble to convert and maintain?
    You don't really convert as such, more like start from scratch.

I had a quick look along Goldfish St earlier at what setups are available for purchase, looks like I have to either have one custom made, or find a setup thats somewhat the correct size and do some DIY myself to have it set up right.

Tank-wise, I'm looking for something of similar size to what wtbhotia is running, but the under tank sump will contain as much, if the not at least the similar, volume as the tank itself, given myself more volume of water to play with, and hold all the equipment I'm looking to install. I'm going down the acropora and millipora (SPS) route, and I'll be running an ultra low nutrient system, so I'll be looking to dose sugar or vodka into the system, and then running the biggest protein skimmer that will fit. Coupled with wanting the least amount of equipment to be seen in the main tank, I'm looking to run as many return pumps to hidden (drilled in) returns as possible.

Live rock is a certainty at 1kg per 10 litres of water, I have spoken to 2 suppliers and they only import Indonesian or China (very poor quality) live rocks. I'm looking to get in some Fiji live rocks, so I'll to see if anyone in HK sells them.
    wtbhotia and croash like this.

Thanks for the details. As you say, it's not really converting, but starting again with new gear. Good luck .

Proplus, contact my aquarium guy, he can get you the tank custom made to order and the sump etc - Daniel 91830233 see if his pricing works out or not. I have another guy from Mong Kok whos shop is not on the ground floor, will check his phone number and send it to you later.

this shop imports lots of corals from Fiji so they might have live rock from fiji also, give them a shout.
    http://www.pro-coral.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast