Like Tree10Likes

Experiences with Easy Taxi app

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Experiences with Easy Taxi app

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences of using this app in Hong Kong. My parents are arriving on Wednesday evening and initially I was planning on arranging a discount taxi (15% off?) by phone. However, my telephone skills in Cantonese are not that great although I do think I could communicate with the driver in person. I'm wondering whether this app would be a viable alternative for booking a cheaper taxi, or if they would still charge the regular metered fare? We'll be travelling to the northern New Territories, hence why I would like a lower fare if possible.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Those taxi apps are for Full FARE.

Whatsapp Ricky or call him, his English is quite good, he will arrange a taxi for you, but you will have to walk with your luggage to Car Park No 3, that is where all the discount taxis will be waiting.

9807-7839

Thanks for your reply. I guessed as much about the taxi app, but thanks for confirming it. Incidentally, I've just spoken to Ricky having found his number on another thread. His rate is the meter fare less 10%. Can anyone advise if this is the norm now? I remember discount taxis were offering 15 - 20% discount a couple of years ago.

Because taxis are cheap here anyway? Because the latest rise was below the inflation rate for the period it covered? Because why quibble over 5%, which even on a fare of $300 is only $15.

Personally, given how cheap the taxis are here, I am happy to pay the full fare.

Another downside with discounted taxis are that they are less safe than normal taxis. The drivers will typically have four or more dash-mounted phones to track and will be functioning as switchboard operators as they drive.

Is there a taxi app that can get a taxi driver to remove his bum from the seat? I love how Hong Kong taxis just click the trunk and never help with the luggage (exception being at the airport, they are quite helpful there). Men are one thing, but it bothers me to see women and elderly having to load heavy luggage into the trunk while the taxi driver sits on his bum.

If you are cost conscious why not catch the airport bus - even if it does not go all the way, a taxi for the final part of the journey may make it more economical.

I wouldn't suggest the airport express to Tsing Yi (although there is a fast bus from Tsing Yi to Sheung Shui, for example) just because it adds up when there are many people, although I believe there are group discounts you can avail of online so might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Is there a taxi app that can get a taxi driver to remove his bum from the seat? I love how Hong Kong taxis just click the trunk and never help with the luggage (exception being at the airport, they are quite helpful there). Men are one thing, but it bothers me to see women and elderly having to load heavy luggage into the trunk while the taxi driver sits on his bum.
    I've never had an issue with that. They always get out and help, going to and coming from the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Another downside with discounted taxis are that they are less safe than normal taxis. The drivers will typically have four or more dash-mounted phones to track and will be functioning as switchboard operators as they drive.
    That's no switchboard, they are moonlighting as sex chat line staff while they drive.
    drumbrake and kimwy66 like this.

Thanks for your comments. I agree that taxis here are cheap so I'm not trying to quibble with the price per se, my question about the discount was mainly out of curiosity. I guess taxi drivers are not obligated to offer any discount, so the fact that they do is a bonus!

Thanks also for your suggestions HK Katherine, I'll look into it.:thumbup:

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast