Managing humidity whilst away

Closed Thread

Managing humidity whilst away

I will be going away shortly for 8 days. I don't currently have a maid, so I am wondering how I can manage humidity in my flat during this time?

A friend of mine was away for a week recently and came back to find a lot of her stuff covered in mould - ergh!

I don't currently have a humidifier, but I have the air conditioner on when I am at home to manage humidity.

Not sure if I should keep my air con on a low setting whilst I am away (I am reluctant to for environmental and cost reasons) or if you can somehow get humidifiers with timing settings or something.. or whether it is feasible to leave one on for about a week. Any advice appreciated.

Personally I wouldn't keep anything electrical on unattended for that length of time.

Get the disposable dehumidifiers and put one in each room also lay down some newspaper over tables etc which helps soak up any moisture too and don't forget to put a dehumidifier in your wardrobes etc too.

Thats what I tend to do when I have to leave the flat empty for months on end.

Political views aside, that is the easiest solution. Just leave the AC on. 26 degrees should be fine if your AC has auto temp.

AC is the easiest but least 'nice' option.

A dehumidifier with an analogue humidity switch + a hose to drain into a drainhole would work well, and won't be drawing power the entire time.

If I recall correctly those disposable descciant packs are also affected by temperature, so if they are already saturated and the temperature rises, they can effectively pump moisture back into the environment. So you have to be careful with them.

If you have window AC units, you can use a timer and make it turn itself on and off as needed, e.g., for one hour every 4 hours. I wouldn't do that with a split-type air conditioner though. You can have fans switch themselves on and off too, including in the bathroom.

You owe me a beer for this one

Thank you all!

I guess the disposable humidifiers, humidifiers with 'analogue switches' and timing devices (jay, I have guessed that you mean the power plug type ones that work with any electric applicance?) are available in places like Fortress?

Yeah, I'm talking about the power plug kind, but you need to make sure it can handle the draw your DEhumidifier (humidifiers raise humidity, dehumidifiers decrease it) will put on the circuit. You have to see how many amps the timer will allow and how many amps your dehumidifer/AC needs or the fuse in the timer might blow.

Personally I would use the AC rather than a dehumidifier. Who's going to pour the water out of the dehumidifier while you're gone? I wouldn't want to use a hose in case it comes loose while you're gone. You'll have a whole lot of water on your floor if that happens, or alternatively, your dehumidifier will shut off when the tank in it gets full.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 22-07-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Cool

For closets or large clothes cupboards you can buy those 1,2 or 3 feet plug in bars which take the humidity out of the closet air. the bars get slightly warm but not hot so don't burn clothes. these really are low cost means to save your clothing while your away. I used to use them in Bermuda which is even more humid than Hong Kong, but had to special order them in my local electrical shop here in HK - about $60 each. For larger spaces, regular dehumidifiers with a rubber pipe into the bathroom drain are great

Quote Originally Posted by skryne:
    For closets or large clothes cupboards you can buy those 1,2 or 3 feet plug in bars which take the humidity out of the closet air.
    Really? Where does the water go then?

I think you'll find that what they in fact do is the exact opposite - they keep the humidity in vapour form by heating it up thereby reducing its partial pressure well below saturation and stopping it from condensing on the clothes.
    Last edited by PDLM; 25-09-2009 at 03:47 PM.