ideas for spending weekends with 2 year olds

Closed Thread

ideas for spending weekends with 2 year olds

Hi,
    We have great difficulty choosing a place to go with our 2-year old girl on Sunday or Saturday. It's either too hot and she turn all wet and sweaty or raining. Does anybody know about any indoor playrooms/gyms other interesting places?

As a parent, I'm not sure what the problem is with kids getting a bit sweaty personally, if she's going to live in HK the sooner she gets used to the climate the better.

Anyway, many residential buildings will have an indoor clubhouse play area but I guess yours doesn't otherwise you wouldn't be asking. There are plenty of museums (I know she's only two but most museums are full of colourful interactive things with buttons you can press even is she doesn't really understand yet). Central library has a kids' play area. There are restaurants like Cafe Deco with kids' play areas.

thanks for your reply. Actually we do have the indoor playroom and a plaground in our building, but she is there 2 times a day. So on a weekend we prefer to take her to some new places. As for openair playgrounds - it's my husband who suffers from the heat more We tried public library...not good: you have to make an appointment 1 week before, the session is only 45 mins and the worst thing is that you have to borrow toys which doesn't work withmy girl, she plays with a toy for 5 mins, then she goes to grab other kids' toys, whichis not good for parents. So we have to borrow new toys evetu 5 mins...too much.
    Cafe Deco is a good idea - heard a lot about it, willcheck it out

Depending where you live or whether you have a car, the public swimming pools are great fun for kids. I take my 2 year old at least once a weekend. The one in Tsuen Kwan O is massive and if you're there early is very quiet.

The following outings have been quite a success with my kids (7,4,2)
    - Science museum
    - Walk from Parkview down to Tai Tam road (reasonable amount of shade)
    - Big Wave Bay (but we get there at 8 and leave before 10 as it gets hellishly hot)
    - Cityplaza

We take our little one to the Jumping Gym located G/F of Harbour City shopping mall, TST ( close to Star Ferry pier). Also, there is some great kids stuff in one of the shopping malls in Hung Hom ( its close to Whampoa Gardens ( go down some escalators at the entrance). There is a huge Jumping Gym, train ride, merry-go-round (carousel) and usually painting or craft stands. Afraid i don't know the name of the building, maybe somebody else knows where i mean?
    Finally, my son loves the HK Zoological & Botanical Gardens. Lots of space to run around, a kids playground and lots of animals to look at.
    Hope this helps!

Place for kiddies to run around outside (though will be sweaty!)

I accompanied friends and their walking (scrambling!) toddlers to "Snoopy's World" at Shatin's New Town Plaza, NT. It's outdoors in the glaring sun (and rain), within the shopping mall grounds - just secs from icy air-con haven, if needed! Not a big fan of Snoop meself, BUT always had a soft spot for good ole Charlie B...

A Wiki search brings up a bit of info:
    [Also check for pics at New Town Plaza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]:

On the balcony of Level 3 of Phase 1, there is an outdoor playground called the "Snoopy's World", the first Peanuts outdoor playground in Asia. It opened to the public on 1 September 2000.

Spots in Snoopy's World

- Doghouse Entry: Snoopy House
    - School Plaza: Peanuts Academy
    - Boating Canal: Canoe Ride
    - Baseball Playground: Peanuts Dugout
    - Mini Town Area: Peanuts Boulevard
    - Covered Sitting Pavilion: Party Pavilion

I know your hubby would rather NOT roast and soak in sweat out in the relentless heat (suffered a bit meself, even with loadsa sunscreen), but on the odd day it's sorta cloudy, with LESS lashings of UV, take your tot there for photo opps, a run-around / workout - just mind the boisterous, hyper 8 to 12-year-olds, though! (Free entrance and open daily till 7pm, BTW.)

One thing - through the yrs, the sun's taken quite some shine OFF what might've been very vivid bright colours, so most cartoon figures and rides are pretty weather-beaten now.

Still worth a half-day trip... slightly "up north"

Last edited by emmie; 22-07-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Dunno how to upload pics here :-/

Snopy's World will close if it becomes too wet. Sometimes the school bus will remain open, but the canoe rides close.
    Also, if you have receipts for over $100 from the mall the canoe ride is free.
    If it becomes too hot, Godiva in the mall serves wonderful, cold, chocolate beverages.

Also in MOS there is an indoor kids play area open to the public. They must be in other areas.

Might be a good idea to repeat the post on Geobaby.