Sending gifts home

Closed Thread

Sending gifts home

I recently arrived in HK to work for 3 months. I heard there was a place just over the Chinese border that it is good to buy gifts such as DVD's, watches, handbags, golf clubs etc.

I have heard stories about things being stopped by customs when sending them home. I was going to buy 3 Louis Vuitton handbags for friends at home, as well as a heap of DVD's for myself.

Any advice on what I should do to ensure that everything gets sent to home (Australia) via post? I realise with the DVD's that I may run into trouble if I send 200 pirated DVD's, but what if I send 200 originals? How much does postage cost? Is there anyway of guaranteeing delivery? Anyone had any bad experiences?

Err .. where is home?

Ummm never mind -- saw it. Sorry, no clue about sending stuff to Australia.

I am from Melbourne, Australia

The HK Post office has various services which should do the job. But I guess you may run into problems with Australian Customs - firstly for import taxes, and secondly because they may confiscate the counterfeit stuff.

It's probably safest to handcarry things when you return, but even then you could be done - Aus is one of the tighest I know of for customs inspections.

Also, you wouldn't want to put your return address on any of the packages you send either.

Rani