Like Tree1Likes

Landlord pays to repair or replace?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Landlord pays to repair or replace?

To great delight, my washing machine is making loud clunky noises and leaving black oily spots all over clothes and towels. Time for a new one, as it's 10+ years old.

When we moved in, the landlord said the machine was 10 years old and would need to be replaced soon and said to let him know when that was. Well we've lived with it for a year, and now it's dead.

In our lease it states that the following are included in the rent on an inventory list. The washing machine is part of the list.

That would lead me to beleive the landlord should pay to fix or replace it correct?

For some reason, the landlord is now telling me I have to buy a new one, not him. What do I do with the old one? It's not mine to toss. And he should buy the new one anyway right?!

Do I have any right to take it off my monthly rent?

Yes - if it's on the inventory then it's his responsibility. If he asks you to get a new one then that's good in that you get to choose the type you like, but you need to get a budget from him and then deduct it from the next rent.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If a washing machine is on the inventory, a washing machine must be there when you leave. It belongs to the landlord.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 28-07-2008 at 05:09 PM.

I don't mind leaving the new one, as long as he pays for it. But if he wants me to pay for the new one myself and leave it there, he's nuts. I'm not storing the old broken one either.

I think I will call him again, and also contact my real estate agent who made up our lease to confirm it's the landlord's responsibility.

Hi, Any idea what happened in the end? I have the same isssue. There is a clause which was there in an earlier agreement (clause 9) which says the fixtures and furniture will be looked after by the landlord. In a latest agreement cunningly he has omitted these 2 words out. All other information is there word to word. And he wants me to replace the washng machine. And says that I need to leave the inventory stuff behind in workable order. Did you have a conclusion??

I had the same issues. 2 airconditioners died. I chose to not replace them rather than be out of the cash. And my hot water heater- I did replace it and never was reimbursed. Apparently, you can take your landlord to small claims court to get reimbursed. Who wants the hassle? But hong kong has very strong laws to protect tenants.

I have exactly the same issue, my (prospective) landlord wants to disclaim responsibility for maintenance/repair of the fixtures and load them all on to me.

I told him to shove it, and that it is up to him to fix them if they go wrong. If it doesn't like it, he can find a new set of tenants.

He also wants me to remove the curtain rails I will need to install which sounds crazy to me. The next tenants will just need to put up a new set, so whats the point of removing them?

Some really amateur landlords here I think.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    But hong kong has very strong laws to protect tenants.
    The ball swung the other way half a dozen years ago.

We always inform the landlord if anything major and then tell him the cost and if no response for a considerable time just deduct the amount from the rent and send him a letter or email explaining him the deduction along with the receipt copy.

the law and contracts are pretty clear: it's the landlord's responsibility if the item is in the contract.

so if he doesn't want to pay, i suggest the following approach:
    1. advise the landlord that it's his responsibility and ask him when it's going to be fixed
    2. if he refuses, ask for a budget, advise him that you are going to buy it and deduct from the next monthly rental
    3. then do exactly that

as long as these steps are done, not much he can do in my view as the law is so clear

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast