Like Tree77Likes

Hong Kong airport request process

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I do think it's worse, yes, but you ignore the fact that Junk Bay / TKO was laid out a century after Sham Shui Po, so the planners could have learnt lessons and done far better, but chose not to.
    That is a fair point. There, I agree with you, don't tell me I argue forever.

As for Tung Chung, my in-laws live there. Plane noise is a nuisance, but that issue aide, actual living environment is not really that bad. There are some nice parks (and by parks, I mean actual parks with green grass and trees) and tree-lined roads. The direct MTR line to Central means if you work there, then transportation is acceptable. Of course if you work in say Tai Po or Sai Kung, then, yeah it will be a hassle.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 19-05-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    On Hong Kong airport flights can take off from east side or west side of runway.
    It makes huge sound while taking off.
    If planes take off from west side, big sound remains far from Tung chung.
    But for last few days all flights are taking off from east side. The east side is very very close to Tung Chung. It's making very very big sound. Approximately 20000 flats are there in Tung Chung. Many of the. Must be getting disturbed because of this sound.
    Is there any way to inform HOng Kong airport about this problem ?
    You do understand that the wind direction changes and thus the direction of take-off must match this change?
    Last edited by emx; 19-05-2014 at 10:13 PM.

The Airpoet was there well before most of the apartments. You moved there knowing the Airport was there. Suck it up princess!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

bibbju, elle and MCDC like this.

If you still don't like then you know the way to the airport.

Using Geoclicks app on someone else's phone

Watercooler and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    If you still don't like then you know the way to the airport.

Using Geoclicks app on someone else's phone
    Well I'll say this, getting to the airport from Tung Chung is mighty quick and convenient, hehehe.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 19-05-2014 at 11:17 PM.

This illustrates something I don't quite get. The airport had to be moved out of Kai Tak because it was surrounded by residential areas. So they built a brand-new airport on a flattened island far, far away. Brilliant! And then built a residential area right next to it.

It was moved because it was too small and there wasn't space in kai tak to expand it. It was also a nightmare/brilliant to fly into, which restricted the number of pilots who were able to land here.

Bothering the locals would have been way down in their list of concerns.

z754103 and auss like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    This illustrates something I don't quite get. The airport had to be moved out of Kai Tak because it was surrounded by residential areas. So they built a brand-new airport on a flattened island far, far away. Brilliant! And then built a residential area right next to it.
    This really illustrates something I really don't get.

There are "people" who still works at the airport and travelling a long distance to work is definitely not high on their list. Why wouldn't they prefer something really near airport that can save them time and money on travelling at the expense of just noise? Even I am considering moving there because I fly a lot (no I don't work for the airlines) and the noise is something I definitely can sacrifice to save a few hours per week

As for OP question, the aircraft takes off and lands from different directions depending on the season, i.e. summer / winter, because the prevalent wind directions changes in HK giving the aircraft more lift on takeoff/landing. But now its summer and should be taking off towards the sea/ not back into tung chung direction. Not sure if thats making more noise for you

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    You do understand that the wind direction changes and thus the direction of take-off must match this change?
    this.

and not to sound rude, you should have known better. it happens back home too, some idiot buys a house/apt near the airport, then complains about the noise after

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast