Taxi Strikes Pedestrian

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taxi Strikes Pedestrian

I just wanted to post a "heads-up" as a reminder to all: please be careful when walking around Hong Kong!

I don't think that traffic here is as insane as traffic in some other parts of the world, (Taipei for example), but earlier today I witnessed an accident that shook me up:

I was crossing a street when I was forced to step back onto the footpath because a taxi was bearing down the road at a very high rate of speed. After the taxi in question passed, I shrugged it off and stepped off again. Within 3 or 4 seconds I heard a car-horn and a tremendous crash; I looked down the road to see that the taxi in question had struck a pedestrian.

I ran down there with a few other concerned persons, some of whom were on their mobile phones calling for assistance. The victim was an old woman who had been knocked unconscious from the accident, her head bleeding badly. Her possessions were strewn around the area, with the exception of her handbag which was wrapped around her neck. Glass from the taxi's broken headlamps was everywhere. A doctor arrived in short order, thank God. At that point I backed away to allow responders to get to her.

I felt so helpless, but, of course, nobody wanted to move the woman for fear of neck/head injuries...

anyway...please take care.

To be frank, do you really think that we should be careful only in HK.....?

[ame=http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=YB_JCUw9SoU]YouTube - Funny car crash[/ame]

Hong Kong is a driving paradise compared to many other countries... China, Vietnam, Morocco, India... Australia's trucks are not always pleasant to encounter on a small road either.

As the saying goes...sht happens!

Haha...I saw a car accident just somewhere close to where I stayed in Melbourne. This car was racing down the road (I heard the engine roaring like hell) and bang! it hit the back of another car. The victim was amazingly intact (that was a miracle) and the next thing I saw and heard was this woman walked out of the car and yelled "you mother xxxxxx, you're xxxxxxx crazy, ahhhhhhh!!!"
    At the very top of her lungs? You bet.

That was the loudest human sound I've ever heard, so far.

Last edited by xxxlionxxx; 30-07-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxlionxxx:
    To be frank, do you really think that we should be careful only in HK.....?
    yes, that is exactly what I think: you should only be careful in Hong Kong. Thank you Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    As the saying goes...sht happens!
    right...good attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by squid:
    yes, that is exactly what I think: you should only be careful in Hong Kong. Thank you Frank.
    huh?? well....whatever.....

Was she jaywalking?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire:
    Was she jaywalking?
    no, she was crossing at a clearly marked crosswalk.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Yes roads are dangerous
    we know that
    so are greyhounds

Man decapitated in attack aboard Greyhound bus | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News

best stay home
    under your pink duvet

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Yes roads are dangerous
    we know that
    so are greyhounds

Man decapitated in attack aboard Greyhound bus | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News

best stay home
    under your pink duvet
    HA HA Cool post.

You're cool.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast