Friday Rant: Street Spam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

didnt intend to attack. just confused why you are targeting the poor souls out on the sidewalk in this miserable weather. We've been spam our whole lives. Google probably provides more spam in 1 second than all the little old ladies in hong kong combined in 1 day. why dont you bitch about SCMP, TVB, Viacom, Clear Channel, JCDeacuax, Time Warner ............................ They are all SPAM. have a look out your window and how many JCDeacaux signs are staring at you.

If you are sick of spam, try North Korea and maybe Antarctica (even though i've never been there)
    If you are sick over crowded side walks, again, try North Korea and maybe Antarctica. If you prefer to stick around in Central, try that stinky alley half way up wellington street.

I'm with the OP, at least on the pamphlets. My understanding is the newspapers are only "delivered" that way; there is no other option.
    However, on the pamphlets, how much trash do we need in HK? I though the landfills were becoming full? And pulling them out of the trash???
    But, much like telemarketers, if people would just ignore them and/or not buy the service from the pamphlet/phone call they would just go away. Somebody must have data that, in HK, "X" number of pamphlets = "X" amount of business.

saphireruby, that's just plain silly.

And KIA, I prefer no spam. Not sure why every company in the world feels it has the right to advertise so directly. In your choices, I would prefer spam by post, though.

Blame the businesses, not the poor souls on the street trying to earn a living.

I've never taken a pamphlet in 10 years in HK, it's not that hard to avoid frankly.

I've never really encountered an aggressive pamphlet hander-outer, really. And I stopped accepting them shortly after arriving here. I usually just shake my head and that seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Master:
    I'm up for a good rant. If you can't handle it and take things too serious, click back on your browser.

Look, I'm fed up with all these folks trying to push cheap printed ads to me when I walk down the street. For a long time, I used to actually grab it just to be nice to them as it's normally old folks doing these dirty jobs, in the hope that they can finish their work earlier.

But, I stopped doing it.. I was sitting at Outback in Lockhart Rd, seeing an old lady digging into the rubbish bins pulling her ads out after some people had thrown it into the bin. She pulled them out, and gave it to the next people walking towards her. Man oh man.. Nice...
    When you are on Loackhart road and the working girls in Wan Chai grab your arm and try bring you inside do get this angry? .

I've often wondered why the people handing out leaflets/newspapers are so 'keen' ...do they get paid per handout?

It's just that when you see people giving out leaflets in the UK for example, they usually couldn't care less if you take them as they get paid the same anyway...

I can't say i've ever felt 'harrased' by them though - unlike those bloody credit card street sellers...but that was a whole other thread!

How exactly does one "look like they read Chinese"? Is there some special Chinese-reading sign that we paste onto our clothes so people know that we are able to read Chinese?

If you don't like professional pamphlet pushers, you definitely don't want to go to Las Vegas. They try to push flyers for hookers onto you and they have this whole rhythm, complete with flicking the fliers to make an annoying sound so you look their way. They're definitely skilled at what they do. lol

My trick is not to make eye contact, just walk straight and totally ignore them...

I agree with the OP - they are annoying and I particularly get annoyed by the fact that they are 100% chinese - and I don't look like I speak Chinese either! i quite like the newspaper ladies - they say a cheery good morning and the standard is not bad for a 2 minute read before switching the pc on for the day....

re the whole spam question - I HATE spam. But the one that MOST makes me FURIOUS are the spam-faxers. Now THAT should be illegal. At least the folks in the street use their own paper! And don't wake me up with spurious fax-calls at home in the middle of the night! I have now taken all the paper out of the fax machine and if I do not recognise the stored number it gets deleted without even being printed out.

I dislike SPAM email too - I never read it and cannot believe anyone does, but, like the other guy, somebody must or they would give up!

Anyway, I don't mind Master for having a rant - he did mention that if we were going to take it seriously to hit the back button - that was much more than most "spammers"!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast